Live rock in storage...questions...

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Clownfish9906, 27 Mar 2012.

1. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

hi guys and girls...

I have a few kgs of live rock so graciously donated to me. I do not know the quality of the live rock as it came out of an algae laden tank - which had livestock and was running...

The rocks have strands of algae on it which seem to be growing...not sure if this is bad! There are purple colouration on some of the rock. I did notice a white worm moving on a piece when I was transferring them to my holding tank (20l salt bucket)...

I have the rocks sitting in salt water with a powerhead doing its bit for circulation. I move the powerhead in the morning and evening in order to compensate for dead spots. I do not have a heater in the bucket but it gets some warmth as its in my patio during the day.

Questions:

Does the algae growing on the live rock mean anything? Good or Bad?

Only noticed one white worm...should it have many living organisms on it?

Can I use stability to assist with the live rock staying alive?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. magman

magman

Does the algae growing on the live rock mean anything? Good or Bad?
    It doesn't mean much, maybe just there was a build of nutrients in the previous tank, it should die off,

Only noticed one white worm...should it have many living organisms on it?
    most of your biological nutrients is bacteria that will be invisible to the eye, but will be present, there should also be quite a few beneficial pods etc that you may not see right now,

Can I use stability to assist with the live rock staying alive?
    I wouldn't bother, rather try skim it as the algea dies off, or do a few little water changes

4. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906 Thread Starter

Thanks Magman

I intend on starting up my tank this weekend - atleast after my RO unit is installed. So hopefully the live rock will be in a tank pretty soon. I will dose with stability. Dallas is going to assist with some zeo stones to help seed my new dsb...

5. magman

magman

if you adding a DSB and have stability, maybe try and add some stability to the bottom of the dsb as you putting the sand in, I am sure this will help getting anearobic bacteria to the bottom of the dsb, as I know stability has lots of aneaobic also,

you will probably have to add a bit of water, then sand, then stability, mix it, then add a bit more,

6. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906 Thread Starter

cool Magman...

Will I also mix up the Zeo stones with the dsb so that it is covered or leave it on the top... I plan to put a chaeto ball on the dsb once i have found a donor...

Recent Posts