Live rock in a small tank? good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Mr.Mandarin, 2 Jan 2013.

1. Mr.Mandarin

Mr.Mandarin

Hey wonder if someone can give me their opinion while keeping and open mind.
    I've been keeping 2 fish in my 100l tank for a while with a few corals and lots of live rock.
    I don't have a skimmer and just do regular water changes. The amount of waste i have to get rid of each week is crazy. I definitely don't overfeed and those 2 fishes can't make that big a mess. I can't help thinking that the benefit of biological filtration from the live rock doesn't compensate for the waste it creates.

My question then: will it be better to have the minimum live rock in my tank and just keep doing lots of water changes, i.e take out the nitrates manually and have a cleaner tank?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

That will work, you can also use something like prodibio nano range
    But yes if you removed bits of rock over say 2-3 weeks to allow the biological filter to adjust it should be fine

4. Mr.Mandarin

Mr.Mandarin Thread Starter

thanks man, but do you think it will be better?

5. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

I'm no expert, but that waste can only come from one source - the food you add.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you remove the liverock, where will your micro bristle stars and bristle worms live?

Especially the worms do help a lot. If you do not have worms, come around, I can give you some... (well, that just sounds wrong!)

The rock, if properly alive, is the main filtration of your system. Problem is more likely a shortage on clean up crew and over feeding.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2013
  7. dallasg

How much do you have in there?

Disagree, live rock breaks down from the bacterial activity, element exchange, wear and tear etc, just look at threads where tanks are bare-bottom and see what waste comes from live rock

8. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

In my opinion the more live rock the better its a place for bacteria to grow I call it natures natural filter.Why don't you add a skimmer it will help allot.....

9. dallasg

No need for LR, I use only ceramic and dead rock and in 3 yrs never an issue, skimmer has nothing to do with biological filtration, bacteria grows everywhere, even on your finger if you left it in the tank long enough

In a 100L tank, 5kg-15kg LR is cool and supplement with prodibio bio-digest or special blend will be tops, my boyu ran like that and with 2 fish you could get away with less

10. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

But your skimmer will get rid of all the nutrients thats excessive...

11. dallasg

Your skimmer will remove DOC's, and yes will help lessen the load by removing waste before it starts, but on a small system with 2 fish it would work, think on pico's and smaller nanos

Recent Posts