Live Rock Farm

dallasg

Controversial Reefer, but knowledgeable!
Reaction score
Hey all!

good news, my second bedroom is now free, so i have decided in the next few days/weeks i am going to start a live rock farm as the first addition to my fish room.

I will be buying a sample of each kind then "farming" that kind with bio-rock, tufa etc.
will this work?

if the admins can read this and let me know if i can post further, please let me know?
if not i will delete the post

i take it this is a bad idea?

well the ROI would be saving reefs and making happy hobbiests...
how i would like to work it as follows, use the sumps to fuel my fish room, about 4 3fts, then after a few months, i would trade as follows, for every kilo of rock, bio or tufa u bring i give u 700grams of LR, if u help with the seeding with donations, u get it the other way round. its all about promoting conservation with out touching the oceans...

Sounds very interesting, you going need to find ways of seeding rocks quicker.

Also make sue you get loads of bio-diversity, maybe get live-sand shipped from the coast from time to time.

well in the beginning i am going to see how the diff rock types take to the seeding, well i am thinking of making several dsb's and trading rock for dsb "samples", frags, basically bartering to get diff sources. looking at talking to ushaka and two oceans.

looking at using 2-3 1000l drums for the LR with the LR on shelves that can rotated the rocks around.

but any ideas/advice/suggestion i am all ears

This sounds like a good idea. Only cost that will kill you is salt. You will need to do some hectic waterchanges to keep thinks going...

i know, still working on the economics of it, i am think to start i am going to make something similar to lanzo's 4 tanks 1 sump thread, about 680l, and use each tank to see how long it takes to seed LR from different sources, if it goes well will make the 1000l LR tanks

Will be good if this works timewise and costwise. Good luck on your new project Dallas :thumbup:

Let me know when it is up and running I can give you some calcert rock to try it out on.
You can have it you just need to pay for the shipping?

thanks kalk, cool, but would be a reason to visit my holiday spot in uvongo and see the reefs of KZN, and def would like to see your setup

busy designing the test tanks, looking at 450mm cubes in a 3 x 3 setup and a common sump, then if they work, will use 1000l vats for production, then use these for breeding or species tanks etc

how does this sound

6 tanks @ 600x450x450, sump 1800 * 500 * 400 for dsb, skimmer and reactors.
all tanks braced top and bottom
sides 6mm and base 8mm

well waiting for official quotes on glass and steel tubing

then will search for second hand equip, also looking at making very porous rock from ceramic etc

Dallas, check the classifieds, someone was selling 2 x stands with 6 cubes I think. Could be HenkHugo.

its on CT, i am in jhb, thanks

Back
Top Bottom