Live Rock Change

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
I had some beautifull rock in my old tank that I removed because I thought it could be the cause for a algae problem I had. I now think of putting the live rock in my new tank in a container that is connected to my sump with 2000l flow. The display will then aquascaped with the now unused rock. Will this be ok to do or do I have to put the unused rock in the extra container with the water flow from the sump to give the goggas time to move into this rock again? If that is the case how long before I can put them back in the display? The rock that I remove from the display will then go to the extra sump to help with filtration.

Herkie was this rock removed from the system and kept dry or did you keep it in a container of salt water?

Also Herkie - I believe - others must please correct me if I am wrong - BUT, you might have a slight nutrient spike when you put in the life rock. You are saying "new" - so you actually expecting a new nutrient cycle to occur? Right?

Alan, The rock was removed and dumped outside in the garden because I thought it's causing the algae problem. I now think the rock probably only carrieed the algae and the real problem was my own fault, or at least 80% of it.

jacquesb, I did think of a nutrient spike but my biggest concern is the life in the current rock. If I replaced it with the now dead rock it will be a huge shock to the system. I also would like to replace most of the rock at the same time to be able to do a decent aquascaping. So swopping the rock over time also does not seem to be a option.

If its free of pesticides etc, i would soak it in tank water in a bucket with a pump running for a couple of weeks and then add it slowly to the system and monitor.

I am getting everything ready to give the rock some time back in the water and will seed them with live rock from the tank and the one I used to seed the dsb. I can now see goggas and worm like creatures in the dsb all the time when the lights goes on so I think this rock should dump quite a few nunus.

Back
Top Bottom