Live rock alternative for filtration

Reaction score
Hunting for live rock the other day, I was disappointed to see that most dealers live rock looking mostly dead except for aptasia...
aso I was wondering would using a product like seachem Matrix and seeding it with something like stability not br a better idea? You'd be guaranteed to get x amount of surface area and the correct bacteria with none of the nasties..

Reaction score
I used seachem's matrix when I re-started my tank. If you use it with the any bacterial adding product it does the job brilliantly. Also for 1 litre of the stones which cost around R220, you will treat 400 litres of water. Don't forget the space saving benefits too in your sump. You can place in a sock or reactor. Just clean them of any detritus buildup, but that's what you should do with live rock anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I assume that would work. Remember a skimmer will not remove all the particulate matter from the water. You will need some maintenance. Maybe through a reactor with a high amount of flow will also prevent detritus build up.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
There are alternatives like Real Reef Rock and also ceramic bio rock.

Reaction score
what do we need to remove? Matrix can serve you in a number of ways:
remove Nitrite in high flow and oxygenated water and;
Nitrates in low to medium flow, medium to low oxygenated water respectively.

Reaction score
I saw those. For the dt I was even thinking of going diy. But for filtration purpose I thought matrix would be better. And so hopefully give the nasties a skip.

Reaction score
And so hopefully give the nasties a skip.
Smart thinking. Unfortunately, take into account when purchasing any corals, unwanted animals always end up hiding in amongst the coral. Always best to have a small nano that is made for corals ONLY, and allow the coral to open up, along with the unwanted critter like Aiptasia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Wanted 5
D Wanted 3
Sappy Wanted 2
yusiG Wanted 0
M RSS Feeds 0
Top Bottom