Live Culture Foods - How to

Reaction score
Hi all, I would like to start culturing some live foods for my fish...

Have any of you ever done this and which is easiest to manage? how did u do it? brineshrimp, mysis - im not sure wat else there is....

brineshrimp is by FAR the easier to do.... i'll dig out my hatcher and take some photos

henk - can u tell me how u culture them, how u feed them, how u prepare them before feeding ur fish - much appreciated...

henk, come on fella that was TWO hours ago! You havent done two hours straight work this year....post pics man we all waiting:)

righteo - well heres the short and long of it....

from wiki...

Nutritional benefits
The nutritional properties of newly hatched brine shrimp make them particularly suitable to be sold as aquarium food as they are high in lipids and unsaturated fatty acids (but low in calcium). These nutritional benefits are likely to be one reason that brine shrimp are found only in highly salinated waters with reasonable temperatures. This makes sense as these areas are uninhabitable for potential predators.

Diet
The nauplii, or larvae, of brine shrimp are less than 0.5mm when they first hatch. They eat micro-algae, but will also eat yeast, wheat flour, soybean powder, or egg yolk.[2]

its basically 3 to 4 tablespoons of aquarium salt per L of water... (i would 1st check what it says on the side of the egg container before you mix it) Sera sells a pre-mix salt and egg mix... just add water... works great

IMG_8842.jpg

IMG_8843.jpg

IMG_8844.jpg

I have 3 of these setups... thus it gives me a constant supply of nauplii. :thumbup:

vary good idee henk is that an old water bottle and tel me how do you regelate the water temp

yea its an old water bottle. i dont.... the fish room is rather warm. if you add a light to the top of it the brine shrimp all swim to the top... kinda cool to see :D

very simple and easy to make thats wat i always say keep it simple and it will work thanks henk

Ben you can also do a smaller scale version with 2L coke bottles. small fish tanks also work great. I know overseas you can buy mysis/mysid eggs but i havent seen them here as yet.

Then you can also cultivate wingless fruit flies and meal worms. You can also buy pin-head size crickets. i am not so sure how well these foods will work in a marine tank....

cool... so once they in the bottle u can feed em wheat flour, eggs or yeast and so u always have brine shrimp to feed

Back
Top Bottom