Live Chat?

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Feedback' started by Storm, 10 Feb 2009.

1. Storm

Storm

Hello, could we possibly get some form of live chat going here on MASA? (Dont meen the Shoutbox) maby a Java IRC Client (Easiest). a example of one would be P J I R C - the best free IRC java applet there is

As for setup I would be more then happy to help as the I.T industry is my field of expertise + I feel live chat would just boost to the rep of MASA so much better.

Anyways think about it and let me know.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

I second that storm ! Live chat is always fun :thumbup:

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I think it would be useful for ppl wanting to discuss trades or unrelated things that they dont need to look back on in the forums...easier than PM'ing.

But I also remember reading a thread from way back where this exact idea was shot down. :p

5. crispin

crispin

kunhardt i remember that thread well, having just re read it a week or so ago, and the validity of a forum and not having a live chat has just been perfectly proven by your statement, so thanks for that. The value of old threads (have a look at your comments on feeding nori) and being able to resource BACK to a thread is invaluable, especially for memebers who are shyer and not that active on here. Being able to read through others experience often teaches the pitfalls as well as the ways to avoide them. Thats experience being turned into knowledge and thats the true value of this forum to me.

I love live chat. but then i have msn, yahoo and or Mirc if i wanted that.

storm not to go against what you say totally, i see it might have some benifit, but when you see a new memeber post a "hello im new here" and you see 14 replies in the first 15 minutes, thats pretty darn live anyway:)

6. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

Ild be suggesting the live chat to existing members who would want to keep in touch over other topics. It is tedious opening a thread everytime. You will also find 80+% of the threads go off topic and turn into a complete new topic. For such situations i would advize a life chat scenario. As I said it is a suggestion, my personnal feelings are the Forums+Live chat can only do more good then harm.

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I agree with you totally Crispin in what you are saying, i also think its invaluable that u can go back and reread old threads. My thoughts on a live chat were also on the same lines as Storm, but more on maybe having a live chat in your PM section would be an idea. That way it doesnt take away from the forum but members who dont use IRC, Skype etc can still have a one to one with someone else on the forum. Just an idea.

8. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

Some thoughts from the Mods/Admins would be nice.

9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

What is the link to that old thread you guys are talking about?

10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Cant remember the name of the thread, but it was quite old, it was to do with a chat you and Kanga had with regard to improving the forum and asking for input if i remember correctly. Maybe Crispin will recall which thread it was.

11. viper357

I've always been rather keen on a chatroom and we have had many requests for this previously, the only reason that I haven't installed one is due to server load as chatrooms can be quite heavy on the server, however now that we are on a fairly decent server I'm sure we can give it a try, there is a rather nice one that integrates with the forum very nicely.

Let me have a good look at it and I'll let you guys know.

Personally I don't think it will detract from the forum too much, in fact it may be beneficial, if we for example set a topic on a Sunday night and have a discussion about nuisance algae, if there is any really good info in the chat then I'm sure someone will start a thread and we can then further discuss what was brought up in the chat.

12. crispin

crispin

that sounds like a nice idea:) or you could set those lazy section leaders up and make them do something on DIY, or Photography etc etc?

13. viper357

Yeah, lol.

I can appreciate your concerns in your previous post, however, I have seen on other forums that have 30 000 members and about 1000 members online at a time, their chatrooms are almost never used, unless someone says, "Live chat tonight at 6pm, discussion about keeping clams", then you'll get maybe 10 or 15 guys jumping in. We'll give it a try and see how it goes.

14. angelboy

angelboy

I think off something like more of a webcam for ur tank that if u have a probleme, somebody can see it as if his at the tank. Some of us are not close to expert help and somebody cant get to ur tank. It can help also to have a probleme quiker resolve then to try to explain what is wrong. I hope i make any sense with the explaining

15. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

Viper357 If you use a IRC Server, you do not need to have all traffic forward from MASA. Users can get a external Chat Client like mIRC www.mirc.com or even an external freely used online chat program used by thousands like mibbit Mibbit.com - Easy and fast Webchat . In short IRC Servers are Large Chat servers that are freely available to the public. The public can then create a channel on one of these servers and it becomes a central point for whaterver you create.

For example, all the South African Online gamers can be found on Shadowfire.

IRC Address: za.shadowfire.org
    Channels: take ure pick... /list in the chat window

So as u can see there are many free alternatives available.

16. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

use can also use some of the local servers, as then people with local bandwidth accounts dont have to worry about international bandwidth.

if this web server is linux based one can install jabber, like IRC, archivable logs in web format etc,

what is the integrated one like viper?

17. crispin

crispin

18. crispin

crispin

warr was playing along those lines, perhaps ask him, he managed quite well :)

19. crispin

crispin

just a thought.....its hard enough managing to get someone to understand posting a pic, i wanna see how we go about explaining how to find a channel:)

20. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

lol true

21. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

crispin its not that hard, u can imbed a link that once u click on it, it takes u to the channel :). oh and dallasg there are alot of local IRC Servers which would cater for this. Some are blabbernet, atrum, webcomm, shadowfire and more. But if i was to choose (And ive been working with IRC for many years.) I would recommend either Atrum or Shadowfire. I speak to the Opers/Admins on a regular basis + i am willing to offer support where needed.

Recent Posts