Little things that make keeping a tank easier

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I though I would start a thread to see what you guys do to make your maintanence and reefkeeping a little easier , I realise the old hats have seen it all, just to help us n00bs a little:p
65478e450bd54da.jpg

Here is one I have (most prob everyone does it but it works for me:p)

normal scraper with a stanley blade, 25mm PVC tube and hey presto I can clean my glass no hassle

I have a 1M one and a 2M one, replace blades each time(just wipe them they have oil on)they cheap enough

Oh and my Turkey Baster to blow/clean between rocks etc

654788dd0ec6902.jpg

My tip, along same line as Kanga's i.e cleaning glass, but I found the best and easiest is a nice big paint scraper. Cheap and does the job extremely well. You do have to get you hands wet though but the convenience for me is just so worth it.

the best investment I feel is a auto top up unit!!

good idea on the scraper, i have one of those cheapie scrapers that take a razor blade, but the blade seems a bit flexible

It's fish poo, debris, and general crap which, if not skimmed out, can raise your nitrate.

I must have good flow or something. Because I can't see any poo? Also only have 4 fish maybe that helps ?

there shouldnt be much in a new system! are you running a sand bed or bare botton? as a huge amount of detritus is captive in the sand bed very often

a 5ml syring to suck up that little detritus here and there

I have heard of dedication before, but this takes the cake Mek. You suck up detritus with a 5mm syringe?

the best investment I feel is a auto top up unit!!

Same here. It's the best thing I could have DIY'ed. I hate topping up.

And ditto on the paint scraper.

absolutley galibore!! it saves so much hastle and stress on the system

you cant run both in a display?

well where is yous sand? and where is the bare botton?

Calvin - Warr has split up the bottom of the tank with a divider - the live rock is on the bare glass bottom piece (behind the divider) and the sand bed is in front of the divider....

how does this benefit you? and why?

is it a deep sand bed?

Back
Top Bottom