Little black snail thingy thing something

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me what this is and if it should be in my tank or not.Thanks
67248e8fc49502e7.jpg

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
It looks like a stomatella snail - more like a slug with a finger nail on it's back, but a snail none the less, 99% good guys, harmless detrivore and very handy freebie, but i have heard the dark coloured ones can nibble on corals, but give it the benifit of the doubt.

Reaction score
I have a funny story about one of these I had in my tank... I was trying to get it off a rock so I could move it to another tank and it dropped it's "tail" (like a lizard) and it stuck to me. At the time I was unaware of this survival mechanism and I started screaming like a little girl because I couldn't get it off me! lol

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I have a funny story about one of these I had in my tank... I was trying to get it off a rock so I could move it to another tank and it dropped it's "tail" (like a lizard) and it stuck to me. At the time I was unaware of this survival mechanism and I started screaming like a little girl because I couldn't get it off me! lol
Hi Sihaya, nice to see you, that must have been funny (afterwards) i had no idea they did that:)

Reaction score
Hey Sihaya.
0002006E.gif
So what happened after that,did it grow another one or what?

sig.gif

Reaction score
I do think they grow back... just takes awhile. :)

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Happened to me as well, a couple of times :p

When I cleaned my sump or refugium I removed them from the glass and some of them shed their tail and it also stuck to my finger :)