List of Trustworthy LFS's

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by PeterL, 25 Apr 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

Are we allowed to put a list together of trustworthy LFS's in the various areas? It will maybe assist with knowing where we can go to buy trustworthy LS or fish, at the moment I don't know of a single LFS on the East Rand which I can trust or is worth doing business with so a 60Km trip to PTA is my best bet for right now. Surely there aren't only 2 people (LFS) in Gauteng who I can buy from...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

Sad to say lfs are a business and at the end of the business is all about money so few guys will actually be truatworthy when it comes to this issue, its few and far between, to them selling that sun coral or naso tang saying it will be fine in a nano, is just another sale, like if you going to buy a car, the dealer woulnt say oh sir, by the way this car has been fully resprayed and had a few panels replaced?

4. maj

maj

best thing is to decide on one lfs who u trust most,then just build a solid relationship with them.
    in this way u will eventually get the best possible info/advise from the LFS.
    Frans/Dorry Pets imo is a trustworthy oke

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Zombie Clam - unfortunately we have a responsibility towards our sponsors, that other LFS's not be advertised or promoted on MASA.

If ANYONE wants to supply you this information, they are more than welcome to do so, via PM.

6. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Makes sense - thanks for the feedback

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

This road has been travelled before and unfortunatly gets abused, so no it wont be allowed. Sorry for this, my advice is if you are not happy with the LfS try talking to them and if that doesn't work simply spend your money else where.

9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Sorry talking about lfs where can I find dory's in Cape Town? seems like every time I ask I get zip reply, is it such a big secret?

10. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

No it is not. If I am not mistaken, it is No. 8 Geelhout Street in Brackenfell.
    Actually easy to find.
    I'm sure Frans is going to set up a new standard of service and prices in this industry for the cape town area. With beeing a hobbyist in the first place, he experienced poor service himself.
    I think, that is the main difference.

11. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Thanx Luckyfish you have been a great help once again, I owe you a :peroni:

12. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

MistaOrange, Frans is on holiday for the week-end and returns on Wednesday - he mentioned something about that on another thread. So you won't get any response from him until then.

I definately take my business to MASA sponsors, I was hoping for someone closer to home only because of the 120Km round trip from me to PTA but considering one of the LFS's locally charge crazy prices and don't help at all - I actually save money by going to one of the sponsors in PTA and I know they are going to help me out with advice and I will end up coming home both better educated and with something in my "shopping bag" which I know will be good in my tank.

I have had nothing but awesome sevice from the MASA sponsors and until someone locally cames up with anything close to the same quality of information and advice as well as in LS and fish - there is no way I am going to change where I buy stuff.

13. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Oh my word it's just down the road from where I used to stay with my ex.....Ohshit!!!

14. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Nice, now you can drive past and show her a "toffee" every time you go to get something for your system. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone LOL.

Or you can get your stuff for your tank and be reminded how much better off you are without her because the money that was going on her can now be put to better use on a reef system :yeahdude:

15. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Yes I remember him say something like that. I have only heard good things about dory's so far but only on masa not outside of masa & all the advice that I received from either frans or lanzo has been great & helped me alot. I've been asking around for weeks now & finally Luckyfish to the rescue thanx again buddy:yeahdude:

16. seank

seank

The only trustworthy Lfs'és are the Sponsors on our Forum;)

17. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: LOL that is exactly where that money is going if not more, puts me in a tight spot if I need to go on a date LOL maybe take her Mcdonalds & eat it in front of the tanks :thumbup: I like that one:1:

18. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I hope so & will only find out on friday after work LOL the boss has already found me in one of our lfs not a pretty site but at least dory's is on the other side of the world.:yeahdude:

19. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

You seen the KFC ad on TV where the dude starts chowing on a burger and tells his g/f all about what a great special it is...

Pulling that move wont help with :slayer:, but you will get a full stomach and have the pleasure of being undisturbed in front of your tank :lol:

20. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

CLASSIC:54::lol::lol::lol:

21. maj

maj

You know at the various LFS shops,most of them have these assistants.
    Do you take advice form them,knowing that majority of the time they do not have ther own setup at home and that they just beleive what is fed to them by ther bosses(which could bamboozling them aswell) then inturn pass that crappy info on to newbies etc.
    Iv come acros this many times wher these are the okes actually not feeding the crap to the newbies and not actually the owners.

Recent Posts