list of trustworthy LFS?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by B2048, 3 May 2010.

1. B2048

B2048

Hi everyone

Would someone be able to PM me a list of trustworthy LFS's? The closer to Sandton the better.

thanks

:)

B.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

pretty sure everything is covered in the following thread

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=16811

have a read and ask questions if you are still unclear.

Bottom line in my opinion is that YOU are responsible to your livestock, how does one define a trustworthy shop?? you need to make informed decisions about your purchases through propper research !

4. B2048

B2048 Thread Starter

Hi Neil

Point taken. I have read that thread previously and I am just looking for a starting point based on people's experience.

Not looking at it as a way of getting around doing my own research.

thanks.

B.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Define close.
    Is Midrand close enough to Sandton?
    for me yes... so one of the sponsors - Idol Marine

But not today. It is raining and the highway should be totally mess this afternoon. Thank goodness I'm home already...:)

6. B2048

B2048 Thread Starter

Hi RiaanP

I already spend a lot of time travelling to pet stores that Midrand is close enough :)

Thank you!

And I will definitely look in YellowPages as well - funny how that just did not occur to me.

B.

7. PeterL

PeterL

I have gone down this road and it turns out that no matter how you look at it, the sponsors ultimately came out on top...So you got to take an extra 20min on the road - at the end of the day you buy a R200 fish from some random LFS and it dies in a week or two, you then got to go and get another which casts another R200 but this time you get it from a sponsor and they advise you on howcome the fish may have died and the preventative measures and proper feeding and care and and and...

Then on top of it, the little bit of petrol you saved today cost you twice as much in the future - don't bother looking for a "closer to home" LFS, they are just going to cost you more in the long run.

Having said all of that, I do have a point to note, surely the sponsors on MASA arent the only few guys in the country we can trust are they?? Every one, eve sponsors, make errors as we are all human so they can be forgiven for the odd error here and there - what I am getting at is through the years of experience of all the people on MASA, there should be a few people who could direct a person toward one or two "other" LFS's who could be considered to be decent. I would for the most part find it hard to believe that we have less than 10 decent marine suppliers in the country...

For right now, I am not shopping around for any LFS's, I will rather make a morning of it and go out and have a chat with one of the sponsors and generally enjoy myself rather than going to a shop and buying "stuff"...that is what Pick 'n Pay is for, you want catch me talking to the owner of PnP for 2 hours because it isn't cool - can you ever get board when talking to a sponsor in his shop, reef systems is such a massive topic that you can talk for years and never say the same thing twice...make the effort and go with the sponsors - you will be better off for it IMHO

(Nothing quite like punting for the sponsors ;))

Recent Posts