List of LED units discussion

I think there is lots of sales talk in here. Lets hear from guys that have units running over their tanks as I feel that retailers of specific units and wholesalers and company reps are somewhat biased in this regard.

They are not the only ones who are biased , this is why I have stated let the units speak for themselves, or lets organise a comparison:)

Last edited:
I am actually not biased. I have never said any unit is bad. I just get irate when facts are not presented truthfully. I have said that Vertex, radions and Pacifics are great units. I am not an agent for any of these units, I have been fortunate to have used two of the brands and have researched each one in depth. In the end each person will have his favourite. I still think you are biased as you are an agent for Vertex and you will naturally protect your product, which is ok.

ok so let me get this straight... the sr360 can do over a 1m from front to back, so my 1 tank is 1200x800x500 , the units do 300 more then its length, so i could use a 300 vertex and turn it sideways? so no need to buy a 900 unit... now i can get both islands covered by only using a vertex 300 , interesting

lets organise a comparison

A pointless exercise in my opinion. There are no two units that are the same, each one has its place and is suited to each pocket. My units have four T5 and nine led channels as standard. Only other units that sport T5's are the ATI, but they have only four LED channels. The comparisons would not serve any true value.

Hi Dallas
Correct depending on coral placement ect, guys please keep in mind that there are very few guys out there with full on SPS tanks and most tanks that have SPS will only have a few pieces.

The only downside to having a single Illumina 300 would be you will still only have a single point source, so adding another unit will be needed in some instances.

Remember 1200mm width is the absolute max capability of the Illumina, and like Jamie said also a good rule of thumb if you are not sure is 900mm on the Illumina

so only need 1 300mm illumina per 1000x600 based on all the points put forward
what gets me is the 300mm side does 600 and the 200mm side does 1m, i am just trying to learn

Ok, based on your statement to Dallas above @Submariner, the lights won't work on my tank with a width of 1 metre and 90% sps?

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on coral placement.

How many tanks do you see with SPS mounted against the front glass?
Talking "normal" 600 to 800 mm deep tanks. that is 800 to 1m wide?

The front part of the tank is open. Few corals on the sand maybe, but they are low light corals anyway.

Do these tanks need a powerful light above the front 20% (or more) of the tank? Will one light source above the rock stack, and above the reef build upon the rock stack be enough?

Carlos tank is different. It is a wide shallow tank with corals all the way to the glass sides right around. Might find this on other tanks with 3 or 4 viewable panels. But tanks with its back against the wall you will have the placement of rocks and SPS corals more to the back side of the tank.

So yes, it depends on coral placement. On what you do. A low rockstack down the middle of the tank and any light source could be OK. Note, I said COULD.

Every tank is different. As are the reefer and his aquascaping. Keep your intended layout in mind when researching lights.

On my tank that is 750mm wide, and 750mm deep, with fairly high rock stack. a single Vertex strip could work. If I make a simple adjustment. Move the light unit forward by 150 top 200 mm, and tilt it backwards by 20 to 30 degrees. And one unit of 1200mm length would be OK.

That being said @RiaanP, then what is the standard width of coverage. If you ask radions, they give you 600x600, you go to Pacific suns, each unit has a standard area of coverage. Lets forget about rock and coral placement and depth of tank or even type of coral.
I think that the whole discussion is that no one can clearly get a clear answer from Vertex on their STANDARD coverage over a tank. I got a different answer from a Vertex supplier, that I found on the vertex website, yet no-one has actually commented on that, why all the smoke and mirrors on a unit that are excellent to own, to provide a great lighting solution to many.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think the issue is more the question as to what area can still be seen as light coverage and what area is light spillage.

but maybe still use-able spillage for certain corals.

Think if it was that easy, we would have had a light recommender app (not a bad idea).

Agree that how your tank is scapped and the nature of the light source is probable more important than the typical coverage.

Another value add your shop gives over online shopping is that you can test/see exactly how it works in real life.

Think the angling back tip just save me another light unit.

Will go and draw it (works well if you know the lens angle of the light), but think I will be able to use one point light source on my tank by moving it to the front and tilting it somewhat back instead of directly from the top.

I will have low light areas on the rims, but has long ago learned to keep corals at least 10 cm from the glass in anyway.

All those of you that are arguing the claims of the Vertex capabilities, do any of you own one of those units and are speaking from months of experience with running the light? Seems to me like some are arguing just for the sake of arguing?

And no, before you all speak evil of me and accuse me of protecting a sponsor, I'm not protecting anyone, just getting totally bored with what seems like a vendetta against Vertex.

I know PAR isn't perfect but how about a standard measurement at 100% power at full/max spectrum. Hang the unit a standard distance of the water and measure PAR at 600mm under water. There after plot the size of the area that still provides the minimum PAR rating required.

So light unit x will have 200 PAR coverage over 600 by 400mm but also 800 by 620mm at PAR levels of 100.

Many of the lights have a 600mm PAR chart at 600mm already as comparison.

I think RiaanP made a gallant effort at 'simplifying' led lighting, unfortunately I believe it was destined from the start to spiral into a pissing contest...
the majority of led owners have spent a small fortune and don't want to hear they bought the wrong or substandard system, n some ppl will defend their investment at the expense of other products..
maybe a better idea is to make a 'sticky' with links to known products...
in short.. Well Done RiaanP, n Well Done viper357...

yes i have owned the units, and speak from my own experience

both i have tried, i own illumilux's and tried a friends illumina when i was LED hunting.

now i have nothing against the units, what i am asking is the actual foot print, and if the units cover 1m from the narrow side, why then does it only cover 300mm more length ways? i am just wanting to see the rational there.

all units have pros and cons, i cannot believe there are any units that are perfect no matter the application. even my orphek DIF have there downsides

another reason why exact foot print recommendations are important is so we as consumers do not have PAR meter, lab tests etc to see if the unit will cover and we need to trust the manufacturer that our expensive purchases are valid for the live stock we plan to keep

the article i posted earlier by Sanjay helps as he has access to all the equipment and can confirm.

both i have tried, i own illumilux's and tried a friends illumina when i was LED hunting.

now i have nothing against the units, what i am asking is the actual foot print, and if the units cover 1m from the narrow side, why then does it only cover 300mm more length ways? i am just wanting to see the rational there.

all units have pros and cons, i cannot believe there are any units that are perfect no matter the application. even my orphek DIF have there downsides

Dallas,

didn't you read my last post? (enough of 'em to miss one!) I explained how light distribution is effected by array design.

Jamie

Back
Top Bottom