Lipstick Tang

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Mtroboer, 14 Jul 2008.

1. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Hi, my LFS is getting a Naso/Lipstick tang in tonight, I see that it can grow quite large but that most sites list their minimum tank size as 75 Gallon. Do you guys think that a 75g would be sufficient?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

It will outgrow a 75g, so be prepared to get him a new home in a couple of years (if he is small), loads are imported quite big already

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

If he is under 7cm he will be fine in your tank. As soon as he gets large you can always sell him.

5. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Thanks Guys, Mekaeel are they fast growers or would it take a while for him to outgrow the tank eg. months/ years?

I plan to upgrade to at least a 1,8 in a year or two, so maybe I will go for it!

6. gaz19

gaz19

depends how hevily you feed him. i have seen regal tangs reach their max size in half a year, bought at about 8cm but were fed like pigs

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

Very true, but the pig of them all is the Tomini, mine has doubled in size in 3 months.

When I got him he was the smallest Tang, now he is bigger than my Hippo and Naso.

8. Andreas

Andreas

mtroboer, you could always pass it on this way if it gets to big:whistling:
    will gladly take care of it:whistling:

9. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's IF I decide to buy him... Dont want to buy a fish I would only be able to accomodate for a few months! They're also getting some Singapore Angels in, however I doubt if I would want to take that big a chance!

Last edited: 14 Jul 2008
  10. gaz19

gaz19

take the naso, its a lovely fish!
    im sure it will take awhile to out grow your tank.

11. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

I don't think it is a great idea to buy a fish that will outgrow your tank, when it becomes too big it could hurt itself/wreck the tank and you might not find a new home for it once it has reached a decent size, they grow to 14odd inches in the wild and are a free roaming fish.

12. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

I'm only going to take it if it is a small specimen, max 7 cm, that way I will be able to upgrade once it needs a new home. The tank fund is coming along, want to upgrade to at least a 1800 x 650 x 800 or a 1200 x 700 x 1200 within a year or two.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2008
  13. Warr7207

Warr7207

Go even smaller if you can, my Naso was 4cm when I got him.

he is also the slowest growing Tang I have, he still has his juvenile spots after 5 months. Just recently started getting his blonde top.

14. marine101

marine101

naso's are generally easy fish, however.... Dont keep them with faster swimming more aggressive fish in the tank.

i had a 12cm naso for a year. When i added a powder blue, it took 3 weeks for it to litterally eat the poor naso alive. Scary stuff!

Also, the naso stands NO chance of competeing for food with other faster, more agile fish in the tank. My regal, sailfin and yellow always used to get to food first, leaving the naso with leftovers. Even that he needed to share with anthias, chromis, clowns, etc.

Unless u have a large tank and feed heavily, i would not recommend, but like i say, theay are nice fish.

15. Mekaeel

I also found Naso's to be very timid fish.Very peacefull and graceful swimmers.

16. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

I did buy the Naso in the end. I'm out of town untill tomorrow afternoon but it looked fine when I left this morning, it even started nipping at some rocks(a sign of feeding I hope)! I left the tank in my fiance's capable hands so she will be on the look-out for any signs of excessive stress. The Coral Beauty is just bullying her a bit so if she's still doing so when I get home it's to the sump with her for a week's detention!;)

17. Mekaeel

Great man.Glad you got it.I really love those Tangs

18. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Thanx Mekaeel, spoke to my gf a few minutes ago, she says he's feeding, just a little, but still. Also said the Naso is a bit stressed by the Coral Beauty so it's to the sump for detention when I get back- going to make her write "I'm a very bad fishie" 500x. Maybe that will teach her some discipline!:policeman:

19. Warr7207

Warr7207

I wouldn't do that, my coral beauty does that with any new fish introduced into my tank, even the bigger ones. Give it 1 to 2 days and she calm down. I tried the sump thing when introducing my Tomini, and when I put her back in the tank she went after every fish, instead of just the new comer.

Recent Posts