Urgent help needed Lipstick Tang Swimming in circles

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Rabbit, 27 Apr 2011.

1. Rabbit

Rabbit

Hi Guys,

Days after purchasing my lipstick it had been in quarantine, I've introduced it yesterday and it was swimming and eating fine. This evening i noticed that it was laying on its side ans funny enough the yellow tang was trying to help it stay up by pushing it up when it tries to lay down, my PH levels where a bit high, i've managed to bring it down by switching off the light in the DT. What could this be ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

i have now separated the tang from the rest of the main tank and placed it in a plastic bowl suspended in the water with copper solution, its not eating at all and panting slightly, I hope his going to make it :(

4. Theo

Theo

Evening Rabbit. Over which period of time did you drip the tang. It might be possible that you dripped him to fast. Because of the high ph levels, he could also get a ph shock. Hope things turn out for the best.

5. chas84

chas84

Is there sufficient movement n the bowl you're keeping him in now? Tangs generally need fast moving water (high oxygen). Rather try and make a "basket" or something from egg crate and keep him in there.

6. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

There is enough space for him to swim but i'll make up a cage of eggcrate for him now thanks

the ph levels where fine when I introduced him, it only increased once both the sump and dt lights were on , it was being acclimatized for 45 min

7. chas84

chas84

Other than the yellow tangs, are there any other tangs? I've lost a few to bullying that happened over the course of days. I have a scopas and convict. Lost a powder blue, bristle tooth, small regal and clown. Unfortunately only after seeing the bristle tooth being harassed (might I say "gently"), I realised the scopas and convict tangs were the culprits.

Are there marks on the lipstick? Won't necessarily be deep gashes, the spine at the base of a tangs tail is very sharp and the battle scars are merely "fine lines" that you can easily overlook.

Also make sure you have some rock/pvc fittings for the lipstick to hide in. Get yourself a veggie clip and a pack each of Ocean Nutrition's Green, Red and Brown marine algae (It's enriched with garlic) and keep him well fed. Take a 5cm x 5cm square of each of the algae, layer them and fold into a quarter. Then clip a small part of the corner into the veggie clip.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2011
  8. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

I've made a cage of egg crate place it in front of one of the powerheads for good flow. the ph levels have come down i'll be monitoring him closely. Thanks for the tips guys !

9. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

Sad sad news guys, he has died, called reza, he said that I should check the nitrates, as these fish are sensitive to it, tested this and it was sitting at 25mg. Its been a hard lesson to me.

10. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Sorry to hear this Rabbit, what other LS do you have?

11. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

Hi Gman, I had 3 tangs in quarantine, the sailfin and yellow tang was medium in size and fairly ill with ich, I got at these at a local fish store in strand . The lipstick I purchased from exotics. The sailfin had died while in quarantine when I had been away from home which i think could have caused the reaction to the lipstick tang. They've been exposed to this water for just over a day. and the yellow tang seems to be the only fish that's recovered fully.

My Currect LS list is as follows

• six line wrasse
    • bicolour blennie
    • yellow tail damsel
    • 1x Blue legged hermit
    • 3 Astrea snails
    • Yellow tang

12. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

It really sucks loosing a fish! what was the condition of the lipstick when you purchased it? could it have gotten infected when you added it to the quarantine with the other 2 tangs?

13. chas84

chas84

Sorry to hear that. I guess you're doing a large water change now? Could help for the high nitrates.

14. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

The fish was as healthy as a horse, the most notable difference in the fish was the shade of its eyes, it went darkish in colour and its body went dark blue.

Yes i did, it had brought the nitrate levels down.

Recent Posts