Urgent help needed Lipstick stopped eating

Cornelj1

''expect the unexpected''
Reaction score
I recently bought a lipstick naso From a LFS.It were happy for about a week and then I realised its not eating.I tried flakes nori pellets brine shrimp with garlic gaurd no luck.It will stay behind the rocks and not come out at all.All other fish are happy.I checked it out for spots but it looks healthy.
Any help would be appreciated

20160309_171929.jpg

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I think your tank is going to be a bit small for those tangs. How's the six line wrasse, is he maybe chasing the tang? Try feeding some frozen mysis.

Reaction score
Hi I had a similar problem with my naso that stopped eating and put calipra plants in my tank. Next morning basically all calipra was finished and the naso also started eating normal foods. I am very new to the hobby but it worked for me.

Reaction score
Hi ... I have naso tang, tried pallets, flakes, frozen food, nori (with and without garlic) . Same problem as you. 2 weeks in my tank. Let me know if you have a get your tang to eat. Thanks

EFJ

Reaction score
Maybe place them in a separate tank and then see if they will eat. Sometimes when in a new home they tend to be stressed out usually through bullying etc.

Cornelj1

''expect the unexpected''
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all your help guys. I added plants which I bought at a LFS and my tang is back to being his old self again. He even eats the pellets again. But you won't believe how they fight over the plants....unbelievable. Don't ask me what its called I will load a picture when I get home...

Reaction score
Im glad to hear hour tang is back to normal. The calipra plants really saved my tang and I always have some in the sump as backup.

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
I think a lot of times dry nori and pellets gets eaten and then expands in their stomach causing constipation/blockage issues, no fish in the wild eat dry pellets or seaweed that expands after coming into contact with water. They are very greedy fish. Perhaps try soaking pellets and nori in some RO or Seachem Vitality for 5 minutes before feeding in future so that it can expand before being eaten. I have also had issues with soaked Ocean Nutrition pellets, it seems to be very hard and difficult to break down, my one regal angel also hid in the rocks for a week or so and did not want to eat once after a pellet feeding. Switched to Hikari pellets (still being soaked) and never had issues again.