Lionfish with fungal infection - help please

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have a lionfish with a fungal infection.

I got the lionfish a week ago. When I received it I noticed that it had the white fuzz on the left side. It has been isolated in QT for the last week and I have been treating it with KanaPlex for the last 4 day. The infection seems to be getting worse so I need help. The fungus seems to be growing in an area where it is/was injured. Two days ago the white fuzz seemed to come off which made me hopful. When the fuzz came off I noticed a red fleshy looking area below it.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. See attached photos.

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
It looks like an injury perhaps, with the dead skin showing white like that, is it still eating?

Reaction score
Is there an open heater in the qt?
No, the lion is floating in a container in a heated tank. So no way for it to have touched the heater. The spot was present from the moment I received it so it is possible that it was injured by a heater before I received it.

It looks like an injury perhaps, with the dead skin showing white like that, is it still eating?
I agree, it does look like an injury. Yes, so far it is only eating guppies, but I am continuing to test out various frozen foods.

Last edited:

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
Just monitor it and continue with the Kanaplex to stop secondary infections, if it is an injury it should heal if it doesn’t become infected. My one angelfish also had a similar injury on its face, think my foxface stung it, and it healed completely:

Reaction score
I was at a lfs last weekend and saw the same thing. owner said copper treament will sort it out? This is if you have a qt ready to go

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
I was at a lfs last weekend and saw the same thing. owner said copper treament will sort it out? This is if you have a qt ready to go
No, don't use copper if it is a disease that is caused by compromised immune system (like lymph), it will only make it worse as copper breaks down the fish's natural immune system even further.

Reaction score
I cant say 100% that its the same so dont do it. Just suggesting what my lfs said. Might be the same

what about some paraguard?

Last edited: