LionFish (Pterois volitans) in Danger!

Reaction score
Hello all,

I went to the LFS toady and saw a BIG Pterois volitans aka lionfish
and it is dying if not helped in time.

The fish is almost 12 inches, very beautiful but its left eye has white thread like fungus looking stuff on. The left eye is not visible and the outer sides are also white looking.

the right eye is clear and the fish moves and eats but if not helped I am sure the
white stuff is spreading.

what medication can i use and what are the water parameters i should maintain as I plan to get it to my place to treat it.

it is 28 night 7:30 pm and I am going to get the fish tomorrow morning by 10 am.

please let me know what I can do to save this beauty, sorry that I am unable to get a picture of it.

I am available 24/7 and wait for all your comments.
my ids are :

yahoo/msn: daniel_singh_in
gmail/gtalk: daniel.singh.in

thanks in advance.

regards

Daniel Singh a.k.a DAN

hi dan from your introduction i took it that u do not have a tank set up yet ? if so dont take the fish...good intentions sometimes can do harm as well...maybe the gurus on the site can help and you can assist the LFS in bringing the lion back to health ????..gurus pls assist

Hi Franssny,

i do not have a salt water tank yet, but the LFS has no capability to keep it and
administer medications in his place, to start he does not even have a heater.

as of now the only way is either i get it and start from square one of the fish dies
or will be released into freshwater, (either way a sure kill).

can you specify any medication and water parameters required.

regards

Dan

sorry daniel..didnt mean to be rude..not sure where u live etc but if the white is just by the eyes..he might just be shedding..looks like a trail of mucus...if the LFS doesnt have a heater.???? what is the water temp or is your temps outside high enough? as for trying to start a tank tonight...my opinoin cant be done..would just be a temporary measure..best article i could find (also looking at a lion tank) is here The Lionfish Info Sheet: Captive Care and Home Husbandry by Frank Marini, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

also got this link from this site (thanks...not sure whos post it was)

Hi fransSny,

thanks for the link. I am based in BANGALORE - SOUTH INDIA and present room temprature is 20-24 C.

the LFS has no heater, the tank size is 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet and half filled with
water and no heater, barebottom with sponge filter running and I hope the LFS keeps the filter running at night but not sure.

I am not buying the fish, just helping the fish to get to healthy state if possible
and return to the LFS or if there is any medication I can suggest that to him and hope it is all fine.

regards

Dan

There is no way you can take that fish home and help him if you do not have a tank already set up, a marine tank will take about 6 weeks to cycle before you can even think of putting 1 fish in there.

As marine101 said, it sounds like that fish is destined to die.

The next best thing you can do, if the LFS will let you, is to tell them to put a heater in that tank, bring the temperature up to about 25, make sure the salinity is about 1.024 to 1.026 and to do regular water changes until they can find someone suitable to take the fish.

As marine101 said, it sounds like that fish is destined to die.

The next best thing you can do, if the LFS will let you, is to tell them to put a heater in that tank, bring the temperature up to about 25, make sure the salinity is about 1.024 to 1.026 and to do regular water changes until they can find someone suitable to take the fish.

they advice viper gave you is all you can do.

i'm glad to see that you really want to help

good luck

Back
Top Bottom