Lionfish Info needed

Reaction score
Hi all

Can some one shed some light on these questions please...
What to feed a lionfish?
Can you have corals with the lion? If so what corals and what should be avoided?
Tankmates?
More than one Lion?

As far as I know most lions eat live food only as they are hunters. I read somewhere that you need to feed it saltwater fish as freshwater fish like mollies and guppies don't have all the needed nutrients and stuff for them.
You can keep them with corals, but not shrimps as they will chow shrimps as well, especially cleaners. Check the video's on youtube.
Not sure on 2 lions though, but the tank obviously needs to be big enough for them, even more if it's the volitans species.
O ja, you can't touch them - you will pee your pants :p

Thanks Tobes!! I read the threads in the predator section and doing some research on the internet... they say that you can wean them on to prepared and even flaked foods. Read that the freshwater fish doesn't have enough nutritional value for the lion... can also give ox heart etc.

i have a lion that eats anything.. nori, flake, shrimp etc. nice fish to have

he will eat just about anything that is as big as him: small surfeons, flies, dwarf angels and nano fish, etc. corals are fine.. he wont touch them. maybe a nice moray will suit him as a tank mate

Thanks Frans. That is a really good read and informative article!!! Scaping I am thinking of cave in the middel back with open sides for swimming area. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom