Lionfish eating

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by deadmeat2016, 5 Dec 2011.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I guess this is a common question, any tips or tricks out there?
    He has not eaten in a week, i put a little string of calamari(cut to look like a mini eel) onto a sosatie stick and jiggle it about but no luck. Help!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nur

Nur Starz

i used prawn, cleaned it nicely then cut circles the size of 10c/20c coins, just drop it in and watch..
    mine when all stalker on it.. was quite entertaining, followed it around then hid and waited for it to come by then bam took in the whole thing..

4. danimal

danimal

i've done it successfully with 3 lions now. i put them in the sump, just cuz it's easier to isolate the fish and pay him individual attention.

i normally tie a piece of cotton very loosely around a piece of hake, prawn or mussel. hake seems to work best for some reason. then i just jiggle it in front of his nose, try make it look alive. it normally takes a few days, sometimes more than a week, before he bites.

dont worry, a hungry lion WILL eat, provided he is not sick.

good luck!

5. Hails

Hails

Maybe live food would help?

6. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

would love to just feed him cleaner shrimps and damsels but im not that rich :tt2:

7. Anita

Anita Sponsor

We fed our Lionfish chunks of hake (bit frozen so it does not fall off of the s/steel rod) wave it in front of him, has to be a thin piece of s/s, so that he does not see that it is on a stick. Cheers Anita

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If you're getting desperate, then in order to save his life, feed him freshwater fish, please don't anybody shout at me but it's nature, it's what they do in their natural environment. Go and buy the cheapest fw fish you can find, drop one or two in just so the lionfish has got some form of nutrition, then continue with your attempts at getting him to feed on prepared foods.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2011
  9. Hails

Hails

Only have carnivorous plants in my house :) but Ive seen guppies and mollies that have been used as live food for carni fish/animals and to think I grab the nearest net at fish shops if I see baby guppies or mollies to try save them!

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

Have you tried feeding with the internal pump on? Makes the frozen food blow all over like it's alive ... Mine got trained like this ... Drop in a molly or guppy then drop in a piece of frozen food then another live one ... pretty soon they dont know the difference and with the pump on everything is live food ... You'll have him eating in no time .....

11. FransSny

FransSny

Dude , because of the high protein content they don't need to eat daily...just relax , a hungry lion will eat !! At the rest please don't feed freshwater fish, yes it will get the response going but the nutritional value is all wrong

12. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I trained mine using the thin tips of small squid tentacles(You would probably call it chokka I think). I held it at the end and move the piece hanging in the water erratically-it will soon get exited. Once exited let go of the meat. The Lion will go for it as long as the meet is moving fastish. Lighty once gave me a small one that I never saw eating for maybe 4 months. It turned into a pig for eating after this.

13. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I agree 100% with the Viper-we get small guppies in the small streams around Richardsbay and even my clown attempted to catch them. I see you are in Gordonsbay-dont you have glassies or any other similar small fish bin the lagoons/harbour?

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

Are you not near the sea? I know my buddies near the ocean feed theirs "glassies" Tons of these fishies in the harbor ....

15. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ha ha ...Posted at the same time ....

16. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

I know all about how bad guppies and mollies are for a lion and dramatically decreases their lifespan, is it safe to go and look for inverts and things for him to chow in the rockpools? cant they harbour disease?

17. king squish

king squish

Hey bud this link helped me a lot

LionfishLair.com - Library

the feeding prong with a peice of fish cut worked well for me, give it a try!!

18. king squish

king squish

Any luck getting him to eat?

19. Merman

Merman

I had the same problem, I then put my lion in the sump.
    then I defrosted some krill and dropped them in a few at a time .......like a beast he started eating but only the whole unbroken krill......after a few days of this he started eating all of it then I added brine and flake to the mix and added it all at once and he started eating the brine as well.

now he will eat the flake as well as anything that moves...

Recent Posts