Lion not eating

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Marx, 23 Feb 2012.

1. Marx

Marx

Hi Guys

havent had chance to upload any pics yet, will def soon though...

But, i recently got myself a lion fish(Volitan)(The reason why i even stareted a marine tank, love this fish) on saturday, he is small(about 5 cm)...

Now the problem is that he hasnt eaten anything since i have gottne him, tried guppies, lance fish, even brine shrimp and he isnt interested..

im very worried about this, is there anything else i can try?

Thank you

Marx...:(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Marx , awesome fish lions but at 5 cm ....difficult to get to eat in my experience. Not eating since Saturday isnt a train smash , but it should show some interest.

The main thing is to replicate "live food" , I do it by taking a piece of mussel or white fish , a scewer and dangling it before him.

Are you using live brine shrimp ? In my experience they are not too phased by it due to the small size (and if you grow them bigger they have almost no nutritional value).

As for using guppies , mollies etc....not ideal due to their protein make up , rather use marine mollusks / fish (marinara mix you get from P & P ...just dump the crabsticks. You can also soak the piece of fish in a little garlic to enhance the flavour.

It takes patience , but trus me , a hungry Lion will eat

4. CrazyTang

CrazyTang

Well how often are you trying to feed him? Maybe he's just not hungry. sometimes they only eat 2 or 3 times per week.

Francois just got this new food that his Lion loved a ton ( Dont really think its new though) Anyway, its by hikari called Massivore delight

Maybe he will like that

Last edited: 23 Feb 2012
  5. Marx

Marx Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses...

@FransSny - i tried dangling some lance fish infront of him with some fish gut - wasnt interested, tried just moving it around on the top, didnt work. As for brine shrimp, also wasnt interested, they were a decent size. So you say the Marinara mix from Pnp is good? will also give that a try..

@CrazyTang - try feed hime once a day, but like i said, he hasnt eaten anything since ive gotten him, will also try to get hold of that hikari food. I feed hikari to the fish in my tropical tank and they love it.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. king squish

king squish

Recent Posts