Linux

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Is anybody running Ubuntu linux 8.10 on a dual boot? Any problems with the installation?

I've had no problems with XP Pro and Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop.

Thanks moz, I'm just terrified that I do something wrong and lose my XP Pro when installing Ubuntu, the section on partitions is frightening :p

Do the Linux partitions have to be at the front of the drive or can they be installed at the end?

The Linux partitions can be anywhere. I've done 3 dual boot installations so far and not had any problems with the installing. The only problem I had with a dual boot system was when I tried to uninstall Red Hat from a machine with 98, the machine refused to boot up after the uninstall, although no data was lost.

One more thing, make sure all your hardware is supported (most new hardware is). Getting my Wifi modem working on my laptop under linux was a mission, but thats half the fun;).

The Linux partitions can be anywhere. I've done 3 dual boot installations so far and not had any problems with the installing. The only problem I had with a dual boot system was when I tried to uninstall Red Hat from a machine with 98, the machine refused to boot up after the uninstall, although no data was lost.
Yip, that's where my fears come from, the last time I did this was with Mandrake Linux a couple of years ago, ended up having to reformat my drive :(

One more thing, make sure all your hardware is supported (most new hardware is). Getting my Wifi modem working on my laptop under linux was a mission, but thats half the fun;).
This is the reason why I want to do a full dual boot installation, I downloaded Damn Small Linux (which is 50mb and runs off a cd) but it couldn't detect my network card, so no internet or email :(

What my biggest concern with the dual boot is my laptop seems to have a rescue and recovery system that boots in dos should you ever lose your xp installation, I'm just hoping the dual boot doesn't interfere with that.

You guy's need to get a life, a good cowboy always wears his duell boots.. :lol:

I must be honest, the only times I've ever had probs with dual boot was when the time came for uninstalling. But that won't be necessary :p

Well I installed it and and am currently running on it. I haven't tried to boot up in xp yet :p

Browser fonts are absolutely terrible though, tried FF and Opera.

Theres a package called mscorefonts or something like that. Install it. Fonts is still something linux pretty much sucks at. They have made effort and have some open source high quality fonts but they just never seem right in browsers etc.

Back
Top Bottom