lillehammer as a winter city

Discussion in 'Sports and Lifestyle' started by crispin, 12 Nov 2012.

1. crispin

crispin

many forum members are surprised to see I am in Norway and i often get asked about this as a destination to live in. There are lots of photos of my farm and house on masa but Ive just found a video promo of the city I live in which will host the youth 2016 winter Olympic games. Lillehammer was put on the world map by hosting the 1994 winter Olympic games and all the facilities are still in use today.

there shot at 0:44 is basically the same view i have from my kitchen window:)

heres a 1.30 video on lillehammer winter sports and what we do to keep warm....and dint forget those ski slopes teach one that the color of adrenaline is actually.....brown!:p

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Beautiful place. Nothing in South Africa is like that.

Wish I can walk down that main street again one day. Who knows, maybe.

4. labworx

labworx

Awesome! There is something majestical about snow covered mountain peaks even though you know you are going to freeze your butt off. The kid in me wants to run through the snow and make snow angels. Lovely town, looks like it can be a very close knit community?

5. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

you will have to come back mate, especially over december or January, its a stunning place when the snow is thick:)

also next time we will have to send you down a hill on a snow board for a laugh :)

6. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

its rare that we are actually cold in this place, clothes and houses and all made for this climate so i get colder in jhb than i do in Lillehammer!

its a very close community and the city has a great spirit to it, lots of cultural activities and now with the run in to Christmas the city realy comes alive with lots of torches burning to light the streets, snow etc.

7. labworx

labworx

So what is the temp during winter by you guys? How are the lambs by the way? I know you mentioned in a post you were up all night with the new arrivals . . .

Wish we had the spirit this side . . . It can become so incredibly complicated without it needing to be.

8. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

this year its realy warm for November (two years ago it was minus 20's through November) and this year its only minus 2 to -5 at the mo:) but it will go to minus 30 at some stage.

Sheep are all in the barn now, with free access to outside and they often go out willingly in the snow. We will start lambing again in March/April and thats a hectic period for us, but awesum to have the little lambs on spring grass again.

9. Reefhead

Reefhead

@crispin
    May I ask what you do for a living
    from what I can guess its got to do with farming but not sure if thats a hobby or your actual job

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

11. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

stunning place. Would love to visit sometime

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yeah, and post the video for all to enjoy...

-10 -15 is no problems for the Norwegians and Swedes. They carry on with live as if nothing is different. Pushing babies in carts, sitting outside restaurants with a smoke and glass of wine. Some kids can ice-skate before they can walk. Saw a little 5 maybe 6 year old girl flying around on the ice rink.

They only start to complain about the weather when it hits -25 or lower....

13. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

we have a farm doing primarily organic sheep and forestry. but the ecconomy in farming means we need to diversify so I also run a kindergaten from the farm (8 kids under the age of 3) and have a couple of bee hives. Im a trained beekeeper and I will increase the number of hives next year as thats what I am good at. I also import LS (mainly corals) and will be starting up a coral frag and propogation section from the farm.

So typical day in winter is up at 5:30, crank up the main wood burning fire to warm water for the underfloor heating in the house and barn, feed sheep, horses (kick them outside) and chickens to be in the house when the first kid arrives at 7. 7-16:00 i have kids to look after and then after 17:00 we do the same round feeding animals and cleaning out stables. Inbetween I look after tanks and bees (only in summer, they basically hibernate now) :)

14. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

you are more than welcome mate, you can slaughter a sheep if you want to eat it halal:)

15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Aaaaahhhh, another house husband! Except I don't have the snow, kids, sheep and don't propagate corals and I only have one kid. Kudos to you my cold weather, master of many jobs, friend! I am impressed!

Recent Posts