Lighty's New 110g Tank

We done dude, nice to follow a good tank build thread, keep us posted step by step:thumbup:

P.s. put a clean tee shirt on for the photies;)

Well I managed to fill my DSB today.:) Was going to use playsand but took a drive along the coast and found me some really fine sea sand, finer than sugar, actually like salt.:thumbup: Unfortunately it was dry:( , but then again if I had used playsand, it would have been the same problem?:whistling: This way it was finer than playsand and best of all - CHEAPER.:slayer: Filled it up to the 15-16cm mark in my sump and put some broken pieces of LR from my other tank on top to seed it.:)
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

Well I managed to fill my DSB today.:) Was going to use playsand but took a drive along the coast and found me some really fine sea sand, finer than sugar, actually like salt.:thumbup: Unfortunately it was dry:( , but then again if I had used playsand, it would have been the same problem?:whistling: This way it was finer than playsand and best of all - CHEAPER.:slayer: Filled it up to the 15-16cm mark in my sump and put some broken pieces of LR from my other tank on top to seed it.:)
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>
you shouldve collected from a deserted beach on low tide from a rock pool.but anyways it will come to live ;)

thanks Meks, will give him a shout tomorrow, using my cell and couldn't find my post about reflectors so just posted it again under my diy light thead, thought I was going mad.

The wet sand was very coarse, so I thought it would be better to use the fine stuff and and let it mature ? can always add some more "live" sand.

The wet sand was very coarse, so I thought it would be better to use the fine stuff and and let it mature ? can always add some more "live" sand.
i collected mines in margate and found it to be pretty fine.
yeah come for a cup full of live sand from me,im owing Andreas a cup full aswell

hmm when i had my 8x ATI tubes on my old tank i used reflectors that houses 2 tubes. Not sure if they were 50mm... Otherwise another guess might be to go directly to a supplier, or ask reefinmates, they do custom made light units, they might be able to helo you out!

Nice work btw! Also looking forward to more!!!! Where about in durban are you?

Last edited:
hmm when i had my 8x ATI tubes on my old tank i used reflectors that houses 2 tubes. Not sure if they were 50mm... Otherwise another guess might be to go directly to a supplier, or ask reefinmates, they do custom made light units, they might be able to helo you out!

Nice work btw! Also looking forward to more!!!! Where about in durban are you?

Thanks will give em a shout in the morning.

I'm stay in Pinetown, sorry I mean lower Kloof - hehe, see you in Westville, I'm always in Cowies hill, would be good to meet up sometime and have a :peroni:

Was only joking about the lower Kloof thing, I stay in Ashley, Pinetown.

What did they hit you for the cabinet? looks like a good job, and what wood they use?

cabinet was about 4k. Not too sure what went into the woodwork, but its covered with cherry. with a couple of extra coatings to prevent any water damage.

Hi Friends

(This was taken at 1AM, 4hrs after I had started to carry 580lts of FSW up a flight of stairs - say no more, the body was not too happy!):(
So what you think?:biggrin:

Chuckle chuckle. Get used to the labour. Its like paying for your car. Every month the debit order goes off and you forget about it. Abuse and neglect your car... and it abuses and neglects you back...:)
Looking sharp dude. You have got all the bits and bobs. Look forward to updates.

Thanks Sunburst, will take some more pics once I've got the lights up and running, and with sore more LR, wanna get the aquascaping done 1st before I add any corals or fish.

Looking GOOD?

Hi All :)

Well I thought it was time to give you guys & ladies an update.

I've now moved all my live stock and rock over to my new tank along with some new corals, my lights are on a temporaly fixture till my canopy is ready and all systems go.

The DSB has got life in it and you can actually watch the copepods playing around on the surface of the sand.

Some of the corals still seam to be a bit stressed but that should come right in a couple days, I hope!

SORRY, Forgot to clean the glass before taking the pics,

Front View - Pin cushion, frog spawn
392481e0352e46f0.jpg

Fox Coral
392481e04031b137.jpg

Red ears and Bubble Coral
392481e0470a8f29.jpg

White Star polyps and ???? ( light blown / pinkish
392481e04f555d15.jpg

Back View - Green star polyps
392481e055853762.jpg

So please comment, good or bad