Lighty's conjoint tanks

Reaction score
Hi friends

Due to a late night pulling down my seahorse tank after thinking it had a possible leak, read this for a laugh - Tank leaking / cracked - Urgent Help Needed, and moving all my ponies across to my QT tank for safe keeping, been thinking.......

I've been having some problems with my ponies...... Gas Bubble Diease (GBD) due to the micro bubbles from my hang-on skimmer, and poor water quality due to inadequate filtration. Since they have been in the QT tank with a sump filtration system they seem to be much happier.

So what i've done is connected the original tank (Juwel tank) to the sump of the QT system, this wad done by getting myself a hang-on overflow box (so I don't have to drill my Juwel tank) and piped it up to the sump on my QT tank to gain the benifits of the sump filtration system. This however will limit me on the capabilities of use the "QT" tank as an actuall QT tank, but maybe i'll convert it to a FOWLR system for some Angels:p.

My chiller will run on a closed lood system from the Juwel tank, knowing it will gain some heat from the return piping, but it should be ok, I'll only use it to maintain a temp of about 26-27C, and bearing in mind the flow to the sump will only be about 200-500L p/H. Maybe I'll connect the chiller directly to the sump and let it cool both tanks......Will test and see how it works out.....

The sump will be modified making place for a DSB or Algae scrubber?

So what do you think?

No space to put one, and cabinet only gives my 2 pieces of space 200Wx200Lx650H, gonna be a bit difficult to build something in such a tight space.

Where's the pics? :whistling:

So have you moved the pony tank over to the other side?

Should work fine.

But also can you run a DSB in the pony tank and run filter media on the skimmer to stop the bubbles.

No, tank still where it was, opperside my 110g tank, the QT is at the end of lounge. I've run 20mm pipe.

I'll run a DSB in the sump, why do you say in the tank? tried filter cloth but didn't work, there has to be NIL bubbles in tank.

i am joining 3 of my tanks and 3 sumps into 1

Because you said you can run 1 below the tank. With a dsb in the pony tank won't their be more critters for them to eat?

you got me confused now? :support:

What i said or tried too at least, was that I could build a sump on the Juwel, but have got a very limited space, only 200(W)x200(L)x650(H), can't build anything decent in that space.

The sump on the QT tank, where the Juwel tank is now connected, has space where I can build a DSB if i want.

Good Going Justin. One sump to avoid bubbles is a good idea, but as you say your DT tank is now limited, but a FOWLR tank is a great idea. But FOWLR for angels? LOL i have angels in the main tank, they arent that bad:razz:

Pics dude, pics :p

1442499d0f89a30c3.gif

you guys must be bored? its only an octopus overflow box and some tubing, nothing special.... but I will post some pic when I get a chance.:)

ok, so eventually got it all sorted out and moved the ponies back to thier old new home, plumbing is working perfectly, yes even the overflow box.

This now mean there is no hang-on skimmer anymore as all filtaration is now done in the sump:thumbup:. Just need to get some more LR and calurpa for the tank to fill it up.

cool, hehe u know the next Q :)

Back
Top Bottom