Lights to grow cheato?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
What lights do you guys suggest one must use to make cheato grow in your refugium? I need a couple of different types/setups.

Reaction score
i think a white t5 or even t8 does the job sine ,its not the light that will get it growing but your nutrient levels

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
i think a white t5 or even t8 does the job sine ,its not the light that will get it growing but your nutrient levels
Heard that cheato "consumes" nitrates, so it won't grow so quickly if your nitrates is 0? What if your DSB takes care of all the nitrates - will the cheato fade away in time?

Reaction score
not only nitrates but also phosphates

Reaction score
Tobes the faster your Chaeto grows the more nutrients it has to feed on, if it stays stable or grows slowly it is good indication regarding your water quality.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Tobes the faster your Chaeto grows the more nutrients it has to feed on, if it stays stable or grows slowly it is good indication regarding your water quality.
I got cheato the size of a tennis ball two and a half months ago, still the same size.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Getting back to your lamps, anything with 6500k rating will help your cheato grow, normal household lamps run at that K rating.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Getting back to your lamps, anything with 6500k rating will help your cheato grow, normal household lamps run at that K rating.
What type household lamps are you refering to? I bought these Lumaglo 'daylight' 14w 6500k energy saving lamps(very scares - no one got anymore) a while ago, but all the others I saw - called cool white and warm light are only 2500k and some don't even say, like the Osram energy globes.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
What type household lamps are you refering to? I bought these Lumaglo 'daylight' 14w 6500k energy saving lamps(very scares - no one got anymore) a while ago, but all the others I saw - called cool white and warm light are only 2500k and some don't even say, like the Osram energy globes.
Well, i was referring to the 6500k ones:whistling:

Sorry:blushing: just look out for any lamp with 6500k on it - that will be fine, some lfs sell flora-grow lamps for trop tanks, purely to encourage plant growth.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Well, i was referring to the 6500k ones:whistling:

Sorry:blushing: just look out for any lamp with 6500k on it - that will be fine, some lfs sell flora-grow lamps for trop tanks, purely to encourage plant growth.
What I meant by "what type u referring to" was - energy savers ; normal globes ; flourescent?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
What I meant by "what type u referring to" was - energy savers ; normal globes ; flourescent?
matters not, as long as the k rating is around the low end (around 6000k) it will encourage your "Veg" to grow.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Got this idea from Sunburst, the 18W have the same PAR as a 150W Halogen, I have 2 of these 2 x T8 4 ft and a PC compact

65479243446879d.jpg

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, will check 'em out

Reaction score
Any cool white lamp will work.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Reaction score
Try the Lumaglo/Osram 11w energy saver, cool white with a 6400k rating makes my macro nice and green

Reaction score
But the cool white that I saw is only 2500k
Shouldn't have been. Warm white is around 2400K and 4000K. Cool white is more around the 5000K to 6500K depending on the manufacturer.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Shouldn't have been. Warm white is around 2400K and 4000K. Cool white is more around the 5000K to 6500K depending on the manufacturer.
Maybe I got confused (was looking at so many different bulbs the last couple days), some manufacturers don't give the k rating, only says cool or warm light. Can I take it that all cool white is in that range even if they don't say?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi tobes - Yes - most likely.....

Warm refers to a more yellow'ish glow, "cool" refers to a more "green'ish" or "blue'ish" glow. The "yellow'ish" coloring is because of the low Kelvin rating (if you search for Kelvin scale on Google, it will explain a LOT more), the "green'ish/blue'ish" glow because of the higher Kelvin rating.... The higher the rating, the more blue the "look" of the globe....

Reaction score
Hi tobes - Yes - most likely.....

Warm refers to a more yellow'ish glow, "cool" refers to a more "green'ish" or "blue'ish" glow. The "yellow'ish" coloring is because of the low Kelvin rating (if you search for Kelvin scale on Google, it will explain a LOT more), the "green'ish/blue'ish" glow because of the higher Kelvin rating.... The higher the rating, the more blue the "look" of the globe....
100% jacquesb