Lights - Timing of Color

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mytank, 4 Jun 2012.

1. mytank

mytank

So I have been running my LED's (Vertex Lumnia or what ever its called) with my blue's high and white relatively high for the LED.

I then wanted to encourage growth and see the difference in colors in my SPS so I upped my White percentage in the LED config.

It looked k@k with so much white, so in typical fashion I phoned and asked how much for some more blue modules.

It got me thinking though..... how long do I need to run my whites at a much more powerful percentage.

For example can I run the whites Mon to Friday (whilst I am work) from 11 till say 5pm at 80% white and then set it to start changing to a more visually appealing Blue look for when I get home, until it does Sun set and eventually moon lights?

What do you guys think - @Adee exp you MR :) ? My target is to:

Still encourage GOOD growth and colors in the corals ESP SPS and then when I am home run the blues for my viewing pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adee

Adee

As an example your typical LED....the white will push around 100 lumens per watt, a blue will push around 30l/w.

So one can deduct that the more blue ur tank looks, the less oomph it's giving to the corals. U need to find the balance to what's going to be good for the human vs what is good for the coral. The trick is to have an LED that will emit a higher PUR vs PAR ratio. If the coral not getting its photosynthetic/chlorophyll absorption spectrum. She ain't going to grow that well. Google PUR vs PAR, there quite a few articles on web that talk around this. LEDs in general are somewhat a misnomer when it come to understanding this relationship.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2012
  4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

What i like doing its run all leds at full while I'm not home. And when I'm home i dime the wires first and blues last. Gives a great sunset feeling. That's why i love my controller.

Has any one got a PUR meter I'd like to test some LEDs?

Last edited: 5 Jun 2012
  5. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Thanks guys what I am trying to determine is if I run the whites at their highest for 4 to 5 hours that should be mimicking the sun (11 to 3pm) which in nature I am sure that's when they get their growth light? The theory right?

Recent Posts