Lights for my new tank

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi guys

I would like to get your general opinion on what lights to use that will be best on energy saving but also fulfill the needs of the corals and inverts. I'm planning on a softy and LPS tank as I like the movement of the corals in the currents - looks natural. I might even decide on a nennie, will just have to hide the pumps then :p

definitely t5's dude!they work wonders really....but make sure you find the right balance of colours in the tubes...:thumbup:

I had a 250W MH 14000K over my previous tank, but feel it might be overkill if I only want to keep softies and LPS ;)

Does T5 tubes also go weak after a few months/years? MH bulbs need to be replaced every 1,5 or 2 years if I'm not mistaken.

well the main reason i mentioned t5's is because you wanted efficient lighting.MH are quite high wattage and produce alot of heat.

t5's usually warrant replacement after max one year.although some say six months but after a year they are still intense enough.

I had a 250W MH 14000K over my previous tank, but feel it might be overkill if I only want to keep softies and LPS ;)

Does T5 tubes also go weak after a few months/years? MH bulbs need to be replaced every 1,5 or 2 years if I'm not mistaken.
I wouldnt say it will be an overkill Tobes. MH's will offer that shimmer over your little reef,maybe try a 150W.
T5's are great! The only fall is that they have to be changed more often as compared to Halides. T5's loose there colouration much quicker than halides.

The tank I'm planning will be 1300L x 800W x 600H. The display will be 1200 long, 100mm will be for the overflow. Water height will be 550mm. So because the tank is longer than my old one, I will need 2 MH's or maybe more?
What would the best kelvin rating be for colour and growth?

PS: not going bare bottom Mekaeel :whistling: :whistling:

Go BB Tobes :lol:
Im currently running the Reeflux 12K SE bulbs.Awsome growth and colours. Check up with Andrew with the SE bulbs he stocks,the 14K is lekker.

Hey Mek, you probably strap two one foot tanks on your feet when you go for a swim in the ocean.... you like that bare bottom feel :whistling: :whistling:

Does anyone know where is that link to that beautiful ricordia and zoanthid tank? What lights needed for them?

Last edited:
No Thalion, it's not that one - a stunning tank as well. I just remember I posted something on that thread, will go through my posts quickly ;)

Can't seem to find it, my posts only shows up to 500 ago, unless I missed it :p

Someone posted that picture a while ago, and a lot of guys made comments about the colour looking like smarties and jelly tots etc. Can no one remember?

Ricordia and zoo tank posted by Matt in May sometime

8473IMG_3741-med.JPG

Found it, that is one beautiful tank - I'm thinking of going ricordia and zoa root ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom