lighting time vs. coral growth

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by nico.m.ferreira, 6 Jun 2011.

1. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira

Hi all. I have been wondering how does lighting time influence the corral growth.
    Let's say algae wasn't a problem and I could run lights 24/7 does that mean the corrals would grow like weeds?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Whoops

Last edited: 6 Jun 2011
  4. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Hehe, I think you mean like weed :lol:.

But I don't think so, corals feed at night and need the night cycle for other biochemical processes, namely the Zooxanthalle that live in the corals respire at night. I guess at most theoretically you could acclimate the corals to extreme light cycles like 18 hours or something but I wouldnt do it.

5. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira Thread Starter

Hehe. Yea. So in a frag tank you can run lights for 18 hours?

6. mupwi

mupwi

increacing light period helps to a point but when exesive is counter productive as as stated erlier there are proceces in the corals that require dark.
    This takes me back to my days of hydroponics where I would influence the plants by adjusting lighting shortening the day and night so say 8h light on 4h off gave 2 days per 24hours which would make the plants mature and start producing fruit sooner then long days to make the fruit grow bigger.

It might be interesting to do a study on that kind of lighting in an aquerium. I often wonder if my lighting regiem is bad for my inhabitants as they are on from 6am when I wake up till 10 when I go to bed so that I can watch them this is however a lot more than normal daylight hours

7. Evo R

Evo R

There is such a thing as too much!!!!

And in this hobby......if ever in doubt,Look at what mother nature is doning.She has perfected her recipe over millions of years and its still working!!

8. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Well said sir :thumbup:

9. nico.m.ferreira

That is well said. Good point with the 8hours on and 4hours off. Think I will try that one first.

10. mupwi

mupwi

Nico I don't think the shortend day will help with regards increasing your coral size it was to convince them to go to fruit the plants had the same growth rate as if they were on a normal cycle the longer day and night cycle may help though maby. Like 24h on and 8h off I think this requires some experimentation :)

11. nico.m.ferreira

Good point. Think the best will be experimentation.

12. nico.m.ferreira

And that should apply for sps, lps and softies

13. mupwi

mupwi

I think I foresee a few more tanks in my future

14. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

I have looked for my thread for 30 minutes now to staff my reply, but for the life of me I cannot find it. I will keep on looking and see if I can get it somewhere...

In anyway, the easy simple answer is that having lights on for more the 2 to 3 hours is a "waste" in any case. Zooxanthellae algae inside coral tissue can only absorb light for something like 1-3 hours and then they stop photosynthesising.

It is quite a deep and complicated discussion, as many other things happen inside coral tissue, but the short answer is NO, prolonged photoperiod would not increase coral growth.

Feeding your coral with phytoplankton and zooplankton shows much more success on growth. Lighting really only supplies a coral with about 30% of it's daily nutritional needs.

Have a read here on these two links, with regards to lighting and feeding, and what is important and what not. Article links are also supplied:

LED's explained + review - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

MUST I feed my coral? - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

I hope that wil answer some questions about lighting and feeding to get most coral growth.

15. FransSny

FransSny

Thanx Jaco , I was also looking for the data on how corals feed in relation to Zooxanthellae "food" production ...I know it was a good write up somewhere :p

But I also agree ...with the right type of feeding regime , lighting needs to become part of a balanced system

16. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Pleasure Frans.

And also, do not underestimate the importance of actinic light. If you read my threads, and the links on them, you will find that actinic light plays a vital role in lighting up your aquarium, for healthy coral growth and colour.

17. Seabass

Seabass

I might be one of a few who runs my lights for 6 hours, cannot imagine a coral getting more direct light than this. Also electricity costs bucks, and it is just going up 20 %, just my 2 cents. My SPS are colouring up lately. Can say my red / orange plate grew about 1 cm in a month, not sure if that is good or bad growth, but I am happy.

PS, they get a maximum of 1 hour sun light a day now in winter, that is in the late afternoon.

[​IMG]

One that has really coloured up from brown to this. I love this one, best SPS colour in my tank.

Recent Posts