lighting system

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tyson, 7 May 2013.

1. tyson

tyson

hi. i am looking for a lighting system for a 1000mm(l) x 700mm(h) x 450mm(w). preferably must have a mh unit in it as well. i am still new to this. tank is only in cycle know. i am staying in port elizabeth. thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Smithers

Smithers

Why not look at a LED unit?

4. tyson

tyson Thread Starter

Its just that the mh is much brighter in the tank. And i think less expensive. But can be wrong.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes a 4*4 double cab is nice. But the loadbin is just as big as a half tonner...

Initial cost, the MH or T5 is a lot cheaper than LED unit. Especially second hand.

If it is your first ever tank, being a newbie I suggest looking at the for sale section. Even a 39W T5 unit will work. 4 or 6 tube unit. On your tank width a 8 tube unit will not fit (maybe, depends on unit)

Anyway as newbie and for the next 6 months you most likely should not run high light requirements corals. Clams, Anemones and SPS. First get to know how to keep the tank stable and algae under control. Then when you know what you want, then upgrade the lights if needed.

6. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

I once had a similar sized tank...
    Still have the lighting for it which was used for around 2 months and then stored..

Ive got a 1 X 250w MH incl bulb aswell as 4 X 39w T5 incl Bulbs...
    Its a ssolarmax unit and the units just slide in next to each other. So you can chop and change as your please...

Unit in excellent condition.

R3k

7. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

8. eibli

eibli

R420r LED Lighting System.

Have a look at this link. These are really great lights and will be perfect for your size aquarium.

9. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

also consider how much your electricity usage will go up if you use MH.... go the green way

Last edited: 8 May 2013
  10. eibli

eibli

Good point @HOT SAUCE. The Razor R420R LED's running cost on electricity is about 5 cents per hour. Compared to a 400 watt MH at about R1 per hour

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

@eibli yes exactly. also onother thing i dont like is the yellowish color the MH make your tank look. maybe the units ive seen are just not of the best quality but i would most definitely go for LED

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

also if you run your LEDs for 8 hours a day and we take in consideration the life span of a LED is 50000 hours it will take you 17 years before you have to replace your unit... compare that to MH which you have to change every 6 months

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

90w LED Module - R 2,750.00 (if purchased with wireless controller)
    Wireless Controller (controls up to 10 units) - R950.00

OK, he need 2, so R6450 including controller excluding hanging kit or stands.

WHAT!!!
    The Maxpect is 60W a panel. Not 20W. For your 5cents an hour to be valid the panels must be 20W. They are 60W. Again need the 2 panel unit that is 120W. Yes at 30cents an hour compared to R1 for 400W MH it is cheaper. But the price is R5700. Cheaper than the Pharos

with 4 T5 tubes you can counter any yellowness. At 406W, yeah not light on power. But the MH is not running 12 hours a day. So peak, yes it is 406W, 78W during sunrise set part (2 tubes) and 156W with all T5 going.

So, is it 3000 or 5700 or 6450

Or
    Unit 7
    4 x 39w T5 fitting including bulbs
    Price R 800.00
    [FS]: Lighting sale: Germiston - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Get yourself the best skimmer you can get rather. You can always replace that R800 light unit later on. Unless you got the thick wallet.

14. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Riaan thats the light out put not the power consumption.

15. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

yes good points by RiaanP. going the T5 way its gonna save you alot of money however consider replacing the t5 tubes almost immediate after you purchase the lights as you wont be sure for how long have they been running before the owner decided to sell. average life span on a t5 is just about a year. where i live a decent 6400K tube goes for about R250.00 (not sure in your area might be cheaper) but that might add another 1000 rand on your unit... and of course collection from PE to Germiston.

however if you can get your hands on a good second hand unit in your area or even a new one that you can run for few month and then sell it you'll save alot of money

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

sorry my mistake
    yes the 2 cluster unit uses 120W and the 3 cluster 160W
    So the cluster itself is not truly 60W, as the consumption from ballast unit and fans I left out

Saw the Maxpect 120W running against a Radion Gen1 (without TIR lenses) over the weekend on a deep tank. Can almost compare the 2 as the Radion is 135W, so yeah, it is almost comparing apple with apple. And they looked very much on equal footing. Maxpect obviously wins on price.

Single Pharos is 90W, double 180W, so can not really compare a Pharos against either Maxpect or Radion on power consumption. On smaller tanks, 1.2m and less, the Pharos works you out more expensive than the Maxpect. Only on really bigger systems, where you use 8 (maybe 6) or more Pharos units could it work out cheaper than Maxpect, only due to its separate controller that control up to 10 lights together. But then the Maxpect 160W at about R6300 should be used in the comparison, not the 120W

17. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Is this a fair comparison, you are using 2 x PHAROS units vs 1 Radion ? Coverage of 1 Radion being 2' x 2' ? Not entirely sure of the coverage of the 120W Maxpect, as I've not had a chance to play with it.

But When comparing 2 x Pharos Modules, remember we looking at coverage of 1200mm x 650mm x 650mm, not forgetting the interchangeable LENSES.

Sorry if this seems like a highjack but just clearing up that we are comparing apples with apples.

18. JP Pienaar

JP Pienaar

I dont agree With Riaan P I had T5 Lights and they are good but after 8 months you need to change bulps where the led's will last you up to 15 years so paying R800 a bulp every 8 Months is not so cheep

I just went over to led's and the razors is amazing 1 unit will be perfect for your tank as I am also using only 1 unit on my 1200x700x400 and the growth on corals is incredible

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yip 2 Pharos
    or one Maxpect 160W

Same price almost then, Pharos at R6450 and Maxpect 160W at about R6300.
    and 180W compared to 160W. Differences is small enough to allow us to say that we are comparing apples with apples.

That is why I said you cannot use the Maxpect 120W in this comparison.

Radion, for same coverage looking at also 2 units, so 135*2 = 270W. So you need 3 Pharos to be able to compare that on wattage to 2 Radion units. On price alone there, Pharos wins easily.

But price and wattage is not the only important criteria. More important is the PAR achieved at different depths. Actually the most important maybe. Especially on 700mm or deeper tanks. Is the light capable to punch that deep into the water?

I got Radions. And when I upgraded them to Gen2, basically fitted the TIR lenses, you cannot believe the light difference. Same wattage, same LEDs. Just lenses added. The brightness and depth is just that much better with the lenses.

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Remember, this is a newbie in the aquarium world.
    That is why I suggested a secondhand unit, plus 4 new T5 39W tubes.
    When the time comes to replace those tubes. He would have found his feet. And hopefully he is still in this hobby.

What will force him out. Big setup costs... Not getting parameters right, algae taking over. Excess nutrients. What is the most important piece of equipment? Skimmer, so get the best skimmer he can get. That alone will help with a lot of the issues driving newbies to give up.

I rather see a that same secondhand T5 light unit 6 to 8 months from today in the for sale section, than seeing his still under guarantee LED unit for sale for half price. Where do you think I got my Radions?

Yes, LEDs are better. But another day.

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and R800 for 4 bulbs.
    T5 39W good quality

Recent Posts