Lighting spectrum

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Giepie, 10 Nov 2011.

1. Giepie

Giepie

Hi MASA
    Long time no see....

I have a general question w.r.t. lighting, more specific about the spectrum:

I'm coming to the end of the setup of my 1,7m reef tank and are now stuck on lighting. Don't worry, nothing in the tank yet - not even water... :)

My question: At what spectrum do my lights need to start (morning), peak (noon) and end (afternoon) before I fire up the moonlight.

The reason for my question is simple - Cost of MH lights and the electicity bill attached to it. I'm researching LED's. I have a supllier that build LED's for all purposes & he just needs to know the answer to my question to build me a lighting setup at about 50-60% less than the cost of a setup of T5's with MH, but with the same effect.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I'm definately not the person to ask, but got you some Links on LED's..DIY with some info to the amount of LED's being used...hope this is what you'r looking for...if not, sorry for not being able to help you...

LEDs for lighting. - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    LED Light Hood Design - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Led Lighting Is Here - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Been searching for over an hour trying to get the Post where they have the times to start sunrise and sunset..and all the others spec's for how long to run each for...sigh..can't find it again..hopefully the guys can help you out as MASA search is not even helping me now..

Last edited: 10 Nov 2011
  4. mytank

mytank

@Giepie are you in JHB ? If so why do t you go chat to @Submariner he has a wealth of knowledge around LED lights.....

Sent from my SGH-i917 Microsoft Windows Phone 7 (Mango) using Board Express

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

there is no good or bad way, the spectrum you looking for is royal blue, around 465nm, 10k white for growth, one can now get UV LED which will help with florecence and you could add red for night viewing.

for moonlights running the royal blues at 40% will give a nice moon effect, another important aspect is the optics used.

what LED and optics are u going to use?

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Giepie, have you got details on your local supplier?

7. ReefMaster

ReefMaster

Just some clarity on UV, I once read that even long spells of UV-C is harmful for corals and humans. Does anyone know more about this

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

yes UV is catagorised into UV-A, UV-B and UV-C

UV-A is like black lighting int clubs
    UV-b is bacically what gives you sunburn
    UV-C is for medical sterialization (10 min exposure will give you arch eyes so long term exposure is a no no) :whistling:

here is more info

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet"]Ultraviolet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

9. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Hi Butcherman
    Thanks for all the info...

The supplier is a local "boykie" that eat, sleep & breathe LED (for industrial, home & farming use). I just ran my idea past him and I could see that I tickled an interst he never thought of. I'm going to be his "Guinypig" for this so if it fails, it's just my setup, but if it works - I will let MASA know...

I do have a T5 light septup as backup, but it's not fun to see how the Escom bill just keep on climbing...

10. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the info - I will forward this onto my buddy & will feedback MASA as soon as I hear something.

Recent Posts