Lighting Solutions

Discussion in 'New Members' started by JohnInsa, 4 Sep 2012.

1. JohnInsa

JohnInsa

Hey Everyone

New member arrived here just two days ago and already I have to ask for some assistance with regards to the lighting in my tank!! I have an 800 litre reef tank which has been running relatively successfully for almost 4 years now and contains 100 kilos of live rock. It is currently lit via a lighting hood containing 2 Sera Deep Sea 1200mm 36W lamps and 2 Sera Blue 1200mm 36W lamps and 2 Metal halides. I understand that it is impossible to get the Halides any longer, as I understand Osram are no longer making them for environmental reasons. The tank is 1.8 meters long. 65 cm deep and 60 cm wide. The equipment is all Tunze and consists of wave pumps, bio-reactors (2) and a protein skimmer.

My question is, due to the non availability of new Halides, it looks like a new lighting system will have to be designed, so what lighting system would best suit my tanks dimensions.

Any advice or being pointed in the right direction of an expert on this subject from this site would be very much appreciated.

Good to be part of this huge family and thank you in advance for any advice or assistance you are able to give me.

John

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ayoob

Ayoob

welcometomasa
    Speak to Submariner as he is the supplier of some Great Vertex LED that will suite your tank. Or you could possibly get 2 Eco Smart Radion LED which will be over enough light on its own.

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

There are many metal halide manufacturers out there and I doubt they will stop producing globes soon. Might just be osram but then again not many marine aquarists use them. You can get blv globes from Lamphouse if you don't want to spend the bucks for one at the fish shop.

Led is an option if you have the funds available and it if you stay in the hobby for another few years it will pay for itself.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

hi John

as ststed Osram are not the only hailide supplier and there are many branded globes (aquamedic, reeftec, BLV, hamilton etc ) that are still freely available in the market... many of the trend setting aquarists are moving towoards LED because of ongoing everising electricity costs... initial outlay is high but longterm savings look great..

investigate your options there are soo many to choose from latley...

6. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

sorry to butt in... there's a co. in cape town, Venture Lighting, they are the market leaders in mh technology. Osram have not stopped manufacturing/developing mh (high intensity discharge lamps are still the most efficient - highest efficacy - artificial light source on the planet). led may catch up and are definitely more versatile but i personally believe that 'plasma' will eventually dethrone hid. i'll have a chat to Terry at Venture n see what double ended mh lamps are available...

7. NADEEM

NADEEM

i would say get some smart LED units, will cost you lots of money to buy them, but you will save lots on electricity and you dont change bulbs...so over time, you do save. If you dont have the bucks for LED, then there is certainly places that still make MH bulbs.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That sounds like T8 tubes?

1200mm T5 tubes are 54w

Anyway for a 1.8m tank you have to sit down before you hear the price for LED units on that tank. But in the long run you do save.

Alternative option is to look in the for sale section as well. There are a couple of units available.

9. NADEEM

NADEEM

yo, get hold of 'Zombie' on this forum, he has a top notch light unit that he is selling. MH+T5 I think

Last edited: 5 Sep 2012
Recent Posts