Lighting question

Reaction score
I am running 2 x T5's blue and 1 x metal halide -white

Is it OK to run 2 x blue or should I have a white t5 ?

are your blues on the back or front?

Ocean I think they would typically be on both sides of the MH.

Hey war,what is the kelvin of the MH?
If it is 10000K and it covers your whole tank,then the 2 blues will be just fine, but imo if you are running a 13000k i'll add 1 white t5.

Hey war,what is the kelvin of the MH?
If it is 10000K and it covers your whole tank,then the 2 blues will be just fine, but imo if you are running a 13000k i'll add 1 white t5.
It is a 10000K

The reason i ask is the MH runs for 5 hours and t5's for 9 hours. When the MH switches off loads of coral also switch off

Jaques talked about that corals only need 5hours of intinse light,he said that in the nature only 5hours of intense light will hit the corals.(it has something to do with the angel that the light hits the water, if it hit's at a 45 degree angel the light bounces off) something like that??
It makes sense if one thinks about it, because the most light is between 10:00-15:00. and your MH is your sharpest light that replecates the sun?
Hope this helps?

Jaques talked about that corals only need 5hours of intinse light,he said that in the nature only 5hours of intense light will hit the corals.(it has something to do with the angel that the light hits the water, if it hit's at a 45 degree angel the light bounces off) something like that??
It makes sense if one thinks about it, because the most light is between 10:00-15:00. and your MH is your sharpest light that replecates the sun?
Hope this helps?

OK, agreed, but my pincushions are only open 5 hours a day, you reckon that enough feeding time and photosynthesis ?

I think 5hours for photosynthesis is cool.
Some leathers feed at night, one of my leathers is only open at night and sometimes during day time, i don't know really why?
Check out your pincushions at night when the whole room is dark?

How far is your cushion from the MH?
Is yor MH coverng the entire tank?

I think 5hours for photosynthesis is cool.
Some leathers feed at night, one of my leathers is only open at night and sometimes during day time, i don't know really why?
Check out your pincushions at night when the whole room is dark?

How far is your cushion from the MH?
Is yor MH coverng the entire tank?

Check out your pincushions at night when the whole room is dark? Totally closed

How far is your cushion from the MH? 500mm
Is yor MH coverng the entire tank? yeap

well if your cushion is open for the 5hours that MH is on, then i'll think that he will be o.k
If you have a really deep tank, i think you can get one more white globe but still keep the two blue ones

A year ago i had problems with algae and bacteria, i had my MH on for 3-4 hours for a couple of months and my corals still grew.

well if your cushion is open for the 5hours that MH is on, then i'll think that he will be o.k
If you have a really deep tank, i think you can get one more white globe but still keep the two blue ones

A year ago i had problems with algae and bacteria, i had my MH on for 3-4 hours for a couple of months and my corals still grew.

Cool thanks for the advice

the globes, the light they emit

OK, understand that, what I am trying work out is if all my lights can be blue.

At present I run 40% Blue and 60% White.

Can corals thrive under blue only ?

Not as well as under lower K value lamps, corals actually prefer 4000k lamps, it is us that prefer the white/blue look to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom