Lighting problems

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Lisa, 30 Sep 2009.

1. Lisa

Lisa

Hi guys, I am having a lighting problem. I have the Juwel 260 litre curved front tank. This comes with 2 lights. I have tried to add 2 more lights. I used the old lid as a template and added 2 x 39w strips(T5), a white and an accinct(poor spelling).

I bought a ballast and the lights from a reputable supplier. After a couple of weeks the ballast blew. Pop and fizz!

I went back and bought a new ballast. Only problem is, the light will stay switched on for a few minuites and then switch off. Any ideas guys? This was a few months ago. To be honest, I got so frustrated I didnt pay much attention to my tank since then. The tank is fine, but the frustration kind of tarnished the enjoyment of the tank. So, can anyone advise on what to do?

Anyone selling a second hand Seio 1100?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

Hi Lisa

Where did you but the ballast? same place as the tubes, if so take it all back and ask them to test it. I have also had a similar problem with 2x39w ballast, but to be honest didn't bother fixing it as there are 2x Mhs....

I know this is going to sound like a mission, but why don't you make a new conopy/lid to fit the tank with 6 or 8 T5? yes it would be a bit of work but I'm sure it would be worth it.

4. Tony

Tony

Check the contacts of the bulbs to see if they have corroded. Do you keep the ballasts inside the canopy or outside?

5. martinhal

martinhal

Check all the corrections , I had a similar issue on a DIY job. It turned out to be corrosion on the end caps.

6. Lisa

Lisa Thread Starter

the ballast sits on top of the lid. the globes inside on the lid-pretty close to the water(the same as the existing lights)
    I will check for corrossion. Unfortunately they did it when they were first fitted(no time for corrossion)
    I'm not an electrician-unfortunately. it's probably something simple and stupid.
    Lighty, I can't fit any more lights, it's already squashed sardines. When the 4 lights work and are on I feel like the planes are going to land in my lounge. Bright

Recent Posts