lighting plans?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Philip.Cloete, 9 Jan 2011.

1. Philip.Cloete

Philip.Cloete

Hello everyone.

so while I am bussy planning the sump I also did some research about the lighting in the tank and what i will need.

so my LFS telss me that 3 blue and 3 white florecents will be adequate for my tank (is that true)

I also found interest in putting high powered leds in beacuse they consume a lot less energy and dont give off that much heat.

so I think if possible leds will be my way to go.

If i put 48 high powered leds in half white and the other half blue will i be able to keep all kinds of coral in the tank or will they have a bad effect on them?

I was wondering if leds give off uv,as I understand corals need the uv.

So will it be a bad or good idea to go for leds?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

LEDS are the future. But not now. Another couple of years. Current systems are expensive, like crazy.

First you must ask yourself, what corals are you going for?. Softies and LPS do not need strong light, as in metalhalids. T5's is ok.

On your tank (1680L,610H,595W) then T5's will be ok. You can play with them as well. 2 * 10000, 2 actinic and 2 * 14000.

I bought myself 2 new light units on Friday, 4 tubes a unit, at R1750, what a bargain. PM me if you want more details. Obviously not the best globes in there. But will be ok for the next couple of months.

4. Philip.Cloete

Philip.Cloete Thread Starter

I know led systems are verry expensive but as i did a few DIY stuff on leds I will be able to build my own system i just want to know if the leds will be an adequate way of lighting.

Thanks i will pm you if i want to buy some but that will be much later first want to finish the sump

5. magman

magman

lol, I am glad Riaan and myself will agree on a thread for someone starting out;)

Generally I think metal halides are now going out of fashion, except for deeper tanks, and I think they still the fashion for aneneomes, otherwise guys going for softies and lps and sps are majority T5. Best thing imo for you is start off with a few t5's, then as you upgrade and start going for sps just add more. The more commen globes guys use are the reefteks, value for money, but some guys say you get better value for ati's and geisemanns as they last at least 18months. Also the par output on the geissemans and ati is much much more than the others, but they expensive to maintain, and also you have to replace them all every so often. I am going to geissemans now also.

Generally the guys all have their own prefrances on colours, what you want for looks, etc. The corals though do need a mix of actinics/blues and the whites.

leds though are definatly the future,

6. Philip.Cloete

I can do the led thing and I think I am going to try it as most people on the net says its much better than other means of lighting.

Also the leds give off no uv which will limit the algea groth.or am i wrong on that one?

7. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Just use the wider LED lenses! Apparently you get 40 degrees and 60. Use the 60's! Also, instead of just adding blues and whites, why not go for the full spectrum? Go for Whites, Reds, Blues and purples...

8. Philip.Cloete

why red and purple see all people using leds only go with white and blue

9. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Not all people... The reds and purples provide more of the light spectrum, not just the blue and white light. In nature, there isn't only blue and white light, so why should we only use blue and white... I'll need to dig up some of the threads I've visited where the guys use the reds and purples on massive LED lighting rigs for their tanks...

They don't add 1 for 1 mind you. I think it is like every 3 whites and blues get 1 red and 1 purple.

10. Philip.Cloete

ok that makes sense please if you come across one of those treads let me know

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yip, agree with Magman. Reeftek tubes are cheap.
    BUT
    the par reading is inferior to aquamedic tubes.
    check Playing with PAR reader. - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    I played with a PAR reader. And the results are very very interesting.

I'm sure, that after you took the total cost, for enough LEDS to provide same PAR as 4 Gieseman or Aquamedic T5 54W tubes give you at 200mm under water. All the LEDs, resistors, drivers, heatsinks, time to build a descend DIY unit (you want to show your tank to others as your pride). Its just easier to take that thin plastic card out of your wallet and buy a T5 unit.

LEDs are getting cheaper. And the 3W units are better. On Nano tanks, they are acceptable, and can be used. Ask Jaco Schoeman. He did run a nano with LEDS for some time. But I doubt if LEDs can compare with T5 on tanks over 400mm deep up to 600mm. Beyond 600mm, no way. That is metal halides territory.

12. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

When you start replacing 5 or 6 ATI or Geiseman T5s you might just as well go for MH's if cost is a factor. I pick up 14k 250w single ended BLV globes for R550 down here....

Recent Posts