Lighting (PAR) Question

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Triton, 9 Dec 2011.

1. Triton

Triton

Hey guys,

I have a a good question.
    Iv been looking at all sorts of light for my 800 deep DT.. Iv looked at T5's, MH and LED..
    So my question is how do you measure the PAR and how deep the light penetrates?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

You can use a PAR Meter but they not cheap....

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Both Idol Marine and Dorry Pets do have PAR readers. It will cost you, but you can pay for them service to come out and test it for you. Not sure if they do it, so ask them.
    But the problem is, that you need to have the lights up, before you can test the light penetration. different things affect the reading as well, even on same light fitting. Like age of bulbs and dissolved organic compound in your water (that yellow tint).

800 deep, so the actual water depth is 750, if you exclude the base thickness and the space between water level and top rim of tank. Then depending on your liverock placement. And the type of corals you want. That can also indicate to what type of lightning you need. High rock structures, or being able to put your corals really high up, softy dominated system, and you can use T5. Low rock structure, SPS corals, light loving clams and carpet anemones. Then MH is the only option.

Seen some awesome LED units lately. But not sure if units capable of giving similar PAR readings at 750mm deep, as compared to MH are available yet. At an affordable price.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Combo systems, 2*150 MH plus T5 tubes is another option.

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

7. Adee

Adee

(just my humble opinion)

PAR is not the relvant topic you should concern yourself with at first...

Rather ID the LS you intend to keep...try and find out the lighting that would suite them best, ideally (and not many of us will know this)...you should understand the optimum spectrum needed for the coral to grow and thrive....what we as humans want to see under lighting, should be secondary.

The next thing is to ask your self if the lighting u plan to put in place...will it provide that spectrum?

Depth will require punch to push that spectrum down to corals below....so in my humble experience a 400w metal halide offers both a broad range of spectrum so you less likely to have a miss where you unsure of the corals spectrum needs, as well as having the punch to get satisfy your depth.

You have not posted what you intend keeping under the light (being the majority)...so what I've just written may not apply. I would do 400w 20K BLV if I were keeping an SPS dominated system in a deep tank.

Recent Posts