Lighting Options for a new tank?

Reaction score
Hi All,

Starting a new tank and been out of the game for some time, back then T5 was the be all, however now see there are various LED options available?

What would you recommend for good quality and price? What brands are around that one should consider?

With the above said, looking for great quality, low energy usage and low heat generation?

Thanks in advance
Regards,

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Hi JV 007

Welcome to the club, I got back into the hobby after 4 years and was totally lost with the way technology change.
My preferred option will definetly be T5's however my little 450 cube cannot accommodate T5's there for went for the new Zetlight Qmaven2 6200ii which I find to be reasonably priced and punches quite a bit of power and SPS are thriving.

One of the advantages is that the unit is waterproof besides also having WIFI accessibility via app.

What is the size of the system you are planning JV?

Have a great day

Kind regards

Reaction score
If you look at lights.....it prity much come down to how big your pockets are. My pockets are never deep so I opted to import my own lights.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response and planning the following tank in size ... 1.8M L x 650 D × 650 H

I thought that T5's was something from the past and that you do not get them anymore?

How are they thought on power consumption and heat

Later

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Thanks for the response and planning the following tank in size ... 1.8M L x 650 D × 650 H

I thought that T5's was something from the past and that you do not get them anymore?

How are they thought on power consumption and heat

Later
T5's still exist and IMO still have the best coverage avoiding shadows on corals.

Power consumption is the issue as compared to new technology (LED) which far less. eg. The Zetlight unit I purchased pulls 66W if I am not mistaken. Since you are old school like me , think of Metal Halides shimmer.

In regards with heat, both LED as well as T5's produce heat. Perhaps a few fans for extraction if you are going with a hood and without a hood, a fan blowing over the water surface.

So in conclusion, If I was in your seat, I will probably go 4 x T5's and in the center a nice LED unit for the shimmery effect.

Reaction score
T5 are still very strong in Europe but they are slowly moving over to LED more and more, I think LED suits out financial climate here more, T5 bulb replacement pricing push the option out the window and more towards LED which is a longer lasting and much less maintenance buy...

Personally ive seen that a good bought LED unit will take alot of the guesswork out vs DIY.... allowing you more time to focus on water parameters.. and ultimately offer you better success!

Last edited:
Top Bottom