lighting help

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by hassen, 15 Sep 2009.

1. hassen

hassen

hello there, i am fairly new to the marine hoby and at present studying the differant options regarding lighting, I have the option of having only 4 x 54 T5 lights or 2 x 54 w T5 and 2 x 125watt MH, which will be better for me in the long term, im planning on starting out with fish only with LR, then adding some LPS then later on SPS and anemones, note that the height from lights to bottom of tank will be about 70cm.

Niel has helped me alot so far and if you on Niel Thank you very much, just want to get views from other reefers as well

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

What anemone species do you want to keep?

Will the T5 bulbs have individual reflectors?

Two 125 watt MH and 2 T5 is pretty minimal in my opinion

4. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

What are the dimensions of the aquarium.

If its 1.5 m and around 500 ltr I would not put more than 800w depending on your other dimensions i am guessing its about 500mm wide i would say 8 x 80w T5's with reflectors would be good.

5. aslam

aslam

Hi,we need the dimensions of your tank in order to help you make your decision.shot

6. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

tank is going to be 150x60x60 if i remember correctly

my opinion is that for this size a minimun would be 2x 250wMH and 4 x 54wT5 .... for bubble tips i think this should be ok.

Also dont know if 125w mh globes are readily available here and if so in what kelvin rating?

7. AndrévN

AndrévN

I use 3 x 150w MH's- 2 10k and 1 14k. And Six 54w - 3 White and 3 Actinic. And that makes my baby bright.

With this i have 4 nemmies, some sps and softies. And the lighting must be good as i revived a bleached purple tip from white to brown. And the nemmies all open everyday.

8. hassen

hassen Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys, judging by the replies two MH and Two T5 are definately out, maybe i should go for two 250 w Mh and 4 54watt t5, few questions

Should the canopy with the lights be open or closed on the top

With Mh is a chiller neccesary for typical JHB climate

Hpw many hours of the day must MH be on

Niel is correct my tank will be 150 x 60 x 60, though i have an option of bringing a 120 x 50 x 50, do you guys think that will be better in terms of lighting etc.

thanks

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi hassen - if you change to these dimensions the tank will require less lighting but not much less - I personally would stick with the rule "bigger is better" as the bigger the water volume the more forgiving the tank is for mistakes! Also price difference would not be that much less going for a smaller tank as sometimes it is harder to find smaller wattage hence higher prices - so my 2cents is stick with the bigger boy - hope this helps

10. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Here is the actual aquarium the lights are on
    [​IMG]

This lighting could also be substituted for 8 X 80w T5's

The halide option you where looking at would require globe replacement every 8 to 10 months depending on photo period. More coulor vairiety can be offered on the T5 globes and growth of corals would still be good. If you by good quality T5 globes you would require replacement every 15 to 18 months. IMO I prefer T5's over halides on your depth.

11. Tony

Tony

Run ti with the canopy open for ventilation or else if you want to keep it closed add some PC fans to extract the hot air from lighting

12. hassen

hassen Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys, Advdiver can you give me some sort of an indication how much the 10 x 54watt fixture including bulbs would cost, also quote me on the 8 x 80 watt that you mention, maybe i can bring the aquarium in without lighting and buy that here,

Also please advise on the fixture sits over the tank, is it sealing mounted, does it clip to the glass, etc.

Regarding the chiller if I run only T5 is a chiller still neccesary, I am on a tight budget and havent though of a chiller for now,

13. hassen

hassen Thread Starter

Oh please also explain to me if you have 10 x 54watt T5 when and for how long do they stay on,

are all on the same switch, im trying to figure out how much it will affect the electricity bill,

On a typical 24 hour day please explain to me what times they come on and off, lets say the tank has, fish, LR, lots LPS, some basic SPS and corals.

thanks

Recent Posts