Lighting for my first REEF tank!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Blade786, 4 Jul 2010.

1. Blade786

Blade786

Hi All,

I have just recently ordered a new marine tank ( L 860MMX H 500MM X B 450MM )with overflow and sump.

I pretty much have everything i need but dont want to buy lights just yet. I joined this community becuase i am fairly new to this hobby and would really appreciate it if i could get some help in choosing the correct lights for my setup.

Initially i thought about the MH route but it looks to be an exspensive investment for starters. Then i looked at T5 lighting, Honestly, im really confused! if someone out there could give me some sort of advise on how to go about determining the right lights choice for my tank and where i could get a good place to purchase diy parts, i would really appreciate the asistance.

Anyway, i will post pics of my tank setup soon!:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA!:thumbup: dont forget to post those pics;)

4. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

5. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Welcome to Masa!!! enjoy your stay and ask many questions!!!!

6. gaboon

gaboon

In short, T5's should to be replaced every 6 months, metal halide, over a year. you may need 6 T5's to do 2 250w halides job. Good T5 bulbs cost about R380 per tube, good halide bulbs are over R1k. I priced a giesemann 250w bulb at R1600 a few days ago.

I suggest try view a few tanks that have both and decide from there. MH have a nice shimmer effect, and T5s run alot cooler than MH. You may need a chiller with halides although I use a PC fan over the waters surface to keep the temp in check.

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA.
    I like MH more than T5's. Reason being it's cheaper in the long run. Look at 3 foot units with a 150w MH and two T5's. Then you can put blue or actinics T5 tubes in. A 150W MH globe costs about R700 but lasts a year to 2, depending on running time and make. If used a primary light, 4 x T5's might cost you R1000 every 6 months. Like Gaboon mentioned, MH gives a nice shimmer effect just like sun rays :)

Recent Posts