Lighting for my 3 foot

Reaction score
Hey guys, as some of you know, I've just bought a set of T5 bulbs, just waiting to buy ballasts and stuff and to build a new lid. The question I'm asking, I don't know if anyone has had success with this combination of lights, but will:

2 * T8 lights (20w)
3 * T5 lights (39w)

Total wattage of 157 watts

be fine for a 3 foot tank with corals? Might look at keeping softies later and want to get the tank ready for them in the meantime.

Reaction score
You will get away with soft corals, but not much else, other than non-photosynthetic corals which are HUGE work to keep happy.

Make sur you mix some blue lights in there for colour ;)

Reaction score
Ok, sounds good, ya, I'm planning on eventually having the two T8's as blue bulbs and the 3 T5's as white

Reaction score
Patience for money for a new lid, the T8's are running at the moment, one white and one blue. And I can only work on the lid when i'm finished my prac teaching.

Reaction score
Patience for money for a new lid, the T8's are running at the moment, one white and one blue. And I can only work on the lid when i'm finished my prac teaching.
Cool, now I understand, your current lighting for your LS, will be cool except for your nemmie :(

Reaction score
Yup, will have to get moving on it soon, maybe I should recruit my father to make the lid for me. Problem being that the T5 bulbs are a tad too long for the lid

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
what brand bulbs are you using.. it is important to use relevant to task bulbs rather than cheapies... i am all for cheap so long as at least spectrum can be established.

Reaction score
Well, i bought them from Mike, I must ask him the name again, can't remember. They go for around R100 each through him. I'll ask him though

Reaction score
why do you need waterproof end caps?

do you want to splash water over your globes?

Reaction score
No, i'm just worried that when I put my new lid and lights in that the evaporation will cause the lights end pieces to rust, although I do have perspex covering the tank at the moment, but dunno if I'm gonna keep the perspex there

Reaction score
i used normal end caps on t5's( no rusting on ballast or on endcaps), and i added a pc fan in my lid to blow my water and mh a bit cooler.

i noted that when pc fan is off, then my canopy's lid pulls "skeef" due to the evaporation.

so now i run my pc fan 24/7

hope this helps a bit:)

Reaction score
i had 2 but the one burned out(hehe)

so i'm running only one now

want to get one more on a later stage

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Hey guys, as some of you know, I've just bought a set of T5 bulbs, just waiting to buy ballasts and stuff and to build a new lid. The question I'm asking, I don't know if anyone has had success with this combination of lights, but will:

2 * T8 lights (20w)
3 * T5 lights (39w)

Total wattage of 157 watts

be fine for a 3 foot tank with corals? Might look at keeping softies later and want to get the tank ready for them in the meantime.
If the tank is not more than 600 deep, and if you go for all white T5's and make your T8's blue, SPS will even do well under those lights.Softies will be more than happy.