Lighting for Chaeto

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by shane, 27 Jan 2010.

1. shane

shane

Hi Guys,I have been do some reading here on the forums about which light to use above my chaeto. I have noticed that some reefers are using the 12 volt 50 watt downlighters, I would just like to check if I have my facts straight and that this is the correct bulb.[​IMG]
    Is there any reason why I could not use the 220 volt light instead of the 12 volt version.Cheers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

taggin along...

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

No reason why you cant use the 220V. Its just safer to work with 12V than with 220V.

5. mandarin

mandarin

Hi Shane, i use 220v x 15w energy saver globes and i'ts hanging just above my DSB, I've seen Raven's setup and he uses 3 big energy saver globes, i think 60w each and the stuff grows at a m##rse speed,the more light the better IMO.;)

6. Tim S

Tim S

Hi Shane, I have a 12 v downlighter over my chaeto. It runns on a timer for 18 hrs per day and is on when dt lighting is off. Chaeto doubles in size every week.

Tim

7. lIghty

lIghty

HI Shane,

you can use pretty much any light on cheato, but its better if its in the 6000K bracket.

These downlight bulbs are good source of light, as they are about the 5000-6000K mark, but unfortunately not very efficient to run, chew electricity and emmit alot of heat, for this reason most people just run energy saver CFL.

If you want to run them, its probably better use the 12V lights as Marius stated its would be safer.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Shane - I am the 1st one (I think) that used this. I have noticed that plants grow very well in dark restaurants, because the people have these downlighters shining on them. So - I tried them on my chaetomorpha.

And indeed - these seem to make my chaetomorpha grow the best, from all the other globes that I tested.

And yes - there's no reason why you cannot use the 220 volt instead of the 12 volt.

9. shane

shane Thread Starter

Hi Guys,thanks for all the input. I have got 3 20 watt energy saver bulbs above my DSb with chaeto. I have noticed that the growth has not been great and was looking at speeding it up.I did find that using warm white energy saver lights did increase the brown hair algea in the dsb. I changed 2 of the lights the daylight 6500 K and that has sorted out the brown hair algea, but not the chaeto. I am going to try these downlighters and see if there is any difference.Cheers

10. shane

shane Thread Starter

Hi,I forgot to ask, is it necessary to use the 50 watt versions of these lights? I have seen that there are 35 watt down lighters available now as well.Any ideas about this?Cheers

11. dv8

dv8

i have some of those in my kitchen:lol: it is a 35 watt bulb but gives the same brightness as a 50w. i would definately go for this one. i think its like an energy sving down light. it realy is super bright

12. shane

shane Thread Starter

Cool thanks dv8,I think it may come down to trail and error to see which light will give the best growth.Cheers

13. jacquesb

Shane - no. You don't have to use the 50 watt versions. I have some that I brought with me from The Netherlands where I lived for 4 years (quite a while back)....
    Mine are 20 watt per globe.... I just use 2 globes per tank (I have 2 sump tanks where I have chaetomorpha in)....

14. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Mm I have one of these Florsent floodlights with 2x 9 watt 6400k bulps about 30cm above the water.. would this work for the cheato .. or not good.. ?? been running for about a week now, and not too much growth that I can see.

Sorry for chirping in on your thread Shane.

Tnx

Niel

15. jacquesb

Hi Niel - the wattage is a little bit low. If I was you, I would try them for a few days (once you gotten chaeto).... if this does not work and the chaeto does not grow - I would definitely make plan to get some other, stronger lighting.... (higher wattage).

The 12 volt downlighters definitely seems to work well - as I said before - I saw plants grow beautifully in dark restaurants, only because they have these downlighters shining on them.

16. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

well, they have been running for a week now, and I cant c any major growth on the cheato.. how fast are these things suppose to grow, and how obvious is the grow.. for us nuubs who has never seen cheato grow :D

but I think you are correct - will find some stronger wattages bulps.

17. jacquesb

Believe me Niel - you WILL see that the chaeto has grown! ;)

Mine - stayed the same size that I got, for about 3 months (I was using 11 watt energy savers)....

Then, my energy saver blew, (water evaporation/dampness), and I decided to put up the downlighters (I used 2 over the compartment in my sump, where I had my chaeto)....
    2 weeks later, the chaeto had trippled in size! 2 months later - my WHOLE compartment was covered in chaetomorpha....

18. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

hehe nice. tnx.

19. Sentari

Sentari

Jacques ive also heard of people having different types of cheato that grow differently over different lighting. Everyone seems to have this problem.

Not that i know of one type of cheato...

20. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Another maybe silly question.
    As stated above I have 2x 9w cfl bulps in floodlight type housing.
    it is stated that these 9w = +- 55w normal bulb light..

Would this then not be the same than using a 55w downlight or other type of light or am I understanding it wrong.. (540 lumens +- / bulp)

21. jacquesb

I don't think so - not when it comes to keeping "plants".... perhaps for the lighting of x-metres area.......

The best success I heard from people using energy saver globes, is when they use from 23 watt (actual wattage) upwards.

Recent Posts