Lighting for a 1.2m tank

Travis1

(wilsontravy)
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im looking at possible upgrading to a 1.2 x 450 x 450 standard 4 ft.
I currently have 54w quad unit. Also just over 1.2m.

My question is, is it ideal to still run a quad 54w unit over a 1.2? or not?

Any other suggestions?

459b

Reaction score
I'd stick with the T5 unit. Besides all the hype over expensive led units, fluorescent lights are still excellent. That unit with good bulbs like ATI, still trump led in my opinion.
What corals are you planning on keeping?

Travis1

(wilsontravy)
Reaction score
Thanks @459b . Planning on keeping mainly softies with the odd hard coral here and there. Would the quad unit be enough for the tank though?

Reaction score
I'd stick with the T5 unit. Besides all the hype over expensive led units, fluorescent lights are still excellent. That unit with good bulbs like ATI, still trump led in my opinion.
What corals are you planning on keeping?
Thumb up !!! But we are all tetchy boffins, so try to resist the new and latest techno sunrise and sunset gadgets ....
T5's with good bulbs on your spec is what every coral needs

Travis1

(wilsontravy)
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

What sort of light combos would be best for the unit? 2 white 2 acintic?

Reaction score
Although I agree fully with the guys above, please note that the T5 bulb replacement costs have soared which will result in you almost paying R2000 for 4 ATI bulbs per year or more. In 2 years, you would have spent almost R4k on bulbs alone besides the light unit once off cost.I find reefers normally prefer T5 for SPS instead of LEDs and seeing that you going with softies and LPS, then LEDs wont be that worst option cost wise in the long run.

EFJ

Reaction score
I personally also swoped out my T5's for LED due to cost of globes. Maybe in the short term you can look at dymax globes or even reeftek globes as they are the cheaper of the globes on offer. I used Giessman with Dymax as I liked light effect that some of the Dymax range has. Also take a look in the For Sale section, there is a number of people selling some nice LED units. I know I saw an ORPHEK unit going for R7k (could maybe less) and just that one unit alone would handle your tank with ease ( also these are damn nice units).

What sort of light combos would be best for the unit? 2 white 2 acintic?
It all depends on what brand you are going for, if I remember I had 2 acintics, 1 10000k white and 1 blue or something in that line.

Reaction score
If I had a choice between LED and T5 I would stick with T5s it's unfortunate that it costs more to run T5s because of the tube replacement and thus I had to make the change..... the quad T5 unit you have is enough to light up a 1.2 x45 x45..... depending on what colour spectrum you like I would go 2 blue one 15000k white and one actinic.... remember the white light is always overpowering....

Travis1

(wilsontravy)
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, sorry for late reply. Blady geyser burst earl morning so I've spent the day replacing that too.