Lighting; don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Renegado, 24 Jan 2012.

1. Renegado

Renegado

Hey,

"Upgrade the lighting" is all I hear but how and with what? :eek: My tank is a Boyu MT40 http://www.boyu.us/eng/aquarium-kit/MT_40.htm

The light with everything put together
    [​IMG]

What is underneath once the plastic guard and reflector is removed
    [​IMG]

Written on the light, "PL - 18W 220V/240V/6400K"
    [​IMG]

The tank with light on.
    [​IMG]

I have zero experience with lighting of fish tanks. :whistling: I'm planning on beginner easy corals and I want to keep the hood; advice please people :yeahdude:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quintin

Quintin

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Before you ruin your hood and spend a fortune on other lights, why not just try it with the built-in lights?

It's a small tank, I'm pretty sure if you add a few rocks and then place your corals on the rocks so that they will be closer to the light then you may very well be fine and not need to upgrade. The tank is only 38cm's high, I reckon you'll be fine with a few easy corals in there.

5. Renegado

Renegado Thread Starter

Wow that looks really impressive! My tank is obviously much much smaller, what do you think would be a rough estimate of the cost for me to go with led's? I really have no idea what these things cost and money is an issue

6. Renegado

Renegado Thread Starter

From what I've read it's no good, I was under the impression upgrading the light is an necessity.. If it's do-able for now that's great :)
    However I'm pretty sure as I gain experience and knowledge I'll want to try more corals so a better light will be in the works at some point

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

It will be fine with things like certain mushrooms and xenia, definitely enough to get you started off. Further down the line you could maybe think about squeezing a 2nd 18w light in there, or maybe even the 24w lights, not sure if they will fit though. One thing I would try and do though, your light is currently a 6400K, I would change that for a 10000K one if you can find one.

8. Quintin

Quintin

Most expensive part of the setup is the heatsink, as it is HEAVY and shipping costs quite a bit.
    Don't think you will need more than 3 blue and 3 white on your setup so heat is not a problem.
    Should have a couple of spare LEDs after I have finished my 3 units (but that may take some time as I'm building them part time) and happy to donate 6 of them to you, if you are happy at doing a diy on your tank?

9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Replace the globe with the combination globe. Its 10K and 20K.

10. Renegado

Renegado Thread Starter

That would be awesome.. I don't have the know how to do that but my dad is very into electrical stuff; I will pm you to ask a few q's.

If I replace the globe that is already in there with something bigger, as some of you have suggested, is it just a case of 'plug and play' and is all the stuff behind the reflector 'compatible' so to speak? Also, I couldn't really fit a globe in that's more then 30cm long

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Dont rush into modding the hood. Ive seen lots of those exact tanks with corals thriving in them. If you only plan on keeping easy corals there there is absolutely no need to change anyhting. Instead of wasting money on LEDS, rather spend that money on decent filter material and good quality live rock.

12. Renegado

Renegado Thread Starter

@459b Don't worry, not rushing at all, I'm getting info. Seeing as this is it, my marine tank until I'm finished studying, I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy being limited to low light corals for all those years, an upgrade will happen sometime anyway :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Rather learn the basics first and upgrade as needed.
    Lighting isnt everything when it comes to corals, the corals that need higher light are also more suscpetable to dirty unstable water parameters.
    Too much emphasis is often placed on lighting and the other important parts overlooked.

viper357 likes this.
  14. lancehall123

lancehall123

Hi Renegado,

The first thing that you will need to know when you are attempting to upgrade your lighting in your tank is a price range. Once you have this then you will be able to decide what you would like to do. A good friend of mine has a Boyu like yours and he has strip LED's inbetween the 18W bulb and that works quite well. That is a cheap way to upgrade the lighting.

In my personal opinion, I would rip out that bulb and stick a heat sink with 8x3W cree xml's and 2x3W cree XT-E Royal Blue.

That way you can get the equivilant of T5 with acetic bulbs and have great lumen ratings.

Whatever lights you decide to go with you must remember that bright is not always right. If your wavelength is incorrect then your corals will have loads of light but will not use it.

I know that this sounds all abit complicated but you honestly cant go wrong with the cree's. Their lumen ratings are great.

The science behind it is what is fun and thats why a good DIY project is in order here.

If you need any assistance then please feel free to reply here or pm me directly.

Thanks,
    Lance

15. Renegado

Renegado Thread Starter

Definitely not planning on overlooking anything at all, which is the reason I'm on the forum, to question everything and gain the knowledge to make my piece of the sea something to be proud of :)

Hey Lance, thanks for that info. Being in school, price is the final deciding factor :001_rolleyes: I don't have to upgrade right away apparently, but I definitely will at some point, the tank is pretty yellow. If you could find out exactly what your friend did; what exact strips he got and what he has in the tank, it would be great! The cree led's do sound expensive? Well actually all the led's do. But won't rule anything out until I know for sure.

I know, it's awesome :thumbup: love the science in fish tanks almost more then anything else, it's a lot to take in though

16. crispin

crispin

im with the two moderators on this, learn how to keep water stable and use what you have in the hood before looking at changing something that probably doesnt need to be changed anyway. Id agree that LED's would be nice in there, i just dont agree that they would be needed.

17. lancehall123

lancehall123

Hi Renegado,

Thanks for the reply, This is just a few things that I would like to show you with regards to the Cree's. Look at the spectrum graph here on the below link.

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/xlampxm-l.pdf

See how the wavelength peaks at 450nm. That is great for corals and they will use this.

If you can find any LED that can peak in that range then you should use that. Also you will be looking for something in the 10000K range for cool white colour.

If you want to do this right and right the first time then I would suggest youtube. It has a loads of videos on lighting etc that should be able to assist you.

My friends LED strips are from this link.

Waterproof flexible Strip Light

He has stuck them in between the main 18W globe and it does make a difference but I would personally rather just save up and get the proper thing hey.

anyway if there is any more that you need to know then please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    L

18. lancehall123

lancehall123

Hi Crispin,

I agree with you in terms of water conditions and lighting is a long term goal. Have a look at this.

I dont have LED's yet but I am in the process of doing a DIY upgrade. I am so looking forward to the shimmer here.

Lighting is a long term goal and water conditions is short term.

Hope you guys agree.

Thanks,
    L

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  19. Renegado

Renegado Thread Starter

I hear you guys don't worry I'll upgrade the light in the future, but I'm still gonna work on learning as right now lighting is the most confusing thing to me.

Lance, thanks, I've been reading up on lights and know the terms but not quite what they mean, like I said, it's a lot to take in haha. I have found those led strips in my searches but from what I've read they are not worth much to corals, so I wasn't really considering them, so I agree with you to save and get something better- it's perfect actually as some months down the line I should be getting some money when the horses I'm backing are sold.
    Thank you all for your help :)

20. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Water conditions are very much a long term goal. For many many years corals have been kept under T8 globes with very little technology going into the globe itself. Success has been due to attention being levied at pristine water quality.

I can assure you lighting is not the b all and end all of aquarium success. Proper filtration and water quality is far more important than a shimmer in the water from some light source.

However LED lighting is really advancing with all the technology being put into the effort of power consumption reduction. I like the move forward and am impressed with the offerings to date.

It is good to experiment and move with new technology, but don't let the "LED " excitement let you take your eye off the ball.

459b likes this.
  21. lancehall123

lancehall123

Hi Nemos Janitor,

lol I know what you are saying here and maybe I have been misunderstood abit here. Getting water conditions right and filtration right is a less expensive route in the beginning and thats why I say its a short term goal. When you spend months saving for the lights(be it LED's or anything else) and researching what corals use and dont use to bloom and grow now that sounds like a long term goal to someone who has just started up.

My example that I added to this discussion is something that i really like and was just showing what LED's can do.

This discussion was about lighting and not water quality. Thats why I gave my two sense. If he wanted to ask questions about water quality I am sure he would have.

thanks,
    L

Recent Posts