lighting advice

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by bres, 18 Jun 2011.

1. bres

bres

Found this www.led-lights.co.za, seems to be very reasonable in price, what do you guys think. are theseany good for keeping soft corals?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

boet you rather get some t5's if you just want to keep softies. From what Ive seen, led's tend to lack something and are best in a t5/led combo

bres likes this.
  4. bres

bres Thread Starter

Thanks man, im new here at masa and new in marines generally, kept tropicals for a good few years, now taking the plunge,

Im looking to buy a Boyu TL550, not to sure what lights comes standard, really just trying to get the "glimmer effect" with the LED's.

5. Submariner

Submariner

Guys LED lights are more than good enough for all corals.

Softies will be no problem at all.

I am currently running a full SPS Clam and LPS reef system soley on LED's

Some of the SPS i placed in there where brown and are now a stunning green colour
    clams are doing well no gaping or over extension getting good sps growth also.

The main advice i would give is to stay away from LED lights that are not made specifically for the hobby.

And a safe bet is to stick with 3 watt LED's only.

A pic of my LED test system (Total watts of entire system including lighting and heating is (460 watts)

Sorry Pics are not the best.

[​IMG]

LED Light

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Jun 2011
  6. Tremayn

Tremayn

7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I believe www.rabtron.co.za is another local place which stocks everything..LED's etc...

Feel free to Comment if I'm incorrect...

8. Tony

Tony

There are some nice LED fittings that will be hitting/have hit the market from Aquarium Depot. Speak to pet stores in CT for pictures and specs from AD's catalogue if they deal with them as Aquarium Depot only supplies pet shops and not the public direct

9. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

My tank been cycling for 3 months now so two weeks back i got a bocolour blennie and then i was set up my led light unit, my led unit consists of a large heatsink and 12*3 watt cree leds. If i could do it again i would be able to save a lot but the diy cost me 2000 rans in total in"luding my mistakes and equipment i baught for the build, im not sure if anyone wants but ill be more than happy to do led units for you guys. As long as you guys supply the materials ill do labour free for now, since i have a lots of time andi enjoy it. I however will not make covers for heatsinks as i am yet to experiment with my own

10. lIghty

lIghty

Submariner, I agree you can grow corals under LED, but if it's efficient is another story?

Looking at your setup, it must be 80-100cm cube, probably about 50cm high? correct? now you have pumping 460W to the lights (assuming this is calculated with efficiency factor?), if you look at the light distribution, it is decent in the center but drops off very quickly as you move out. IMO a 250w MH would produce allot more and evenly distributed light, even taking into the efficiency of a magnetic ballast, electricity usage will still only be about 310W.

Any feedback?

11. CraigPeter

CraigPeter

I am experimenting with LED bulbs - mix of things from ebay. Been most impressed so far with the delivery - mostly from a variety of HK dealers who have been half the price and half the delivery time of some jokers in CT who my friend ordered from (they also sent warm white instead of cool and the replacements have still not arrived!).

Anyway my plan is to mix and match a whole whack of different bulbs with my 6X 24 W T5s as a back up...

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I think you misunderstood subs post. His whole tank runs at 460. Not the lights. That is his skimmer, return, flow pumps, heaters and lights (all equipment). Those lights are around 36W max.

13. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

Im all for leds, i have friends who stay up in the mountain and have no electricity other than a generator. we wired up 50 crees and now they have light, bathroom, two massice caravans, a plant growery in the back as well as about 80 square meter of living area.

14. Submariner

Submariner

Thank you Marius

Correct my entire setup including

heater
    return pump
    zeovit feed pump
    skimmer
    lighting

adds up to 460 Watts

You may see the light at the edge of the tank drops of, this is just a personal preference and i can easily change this by changing the lenses from 45 to 60 degree.

LED light are +- 100 watts

lastly LED units dont have to be costly.

Lets say a 100 watt unit LED's equals costs +-R7000

T5 unit 8x 39 watt costs +- R4000 including globes

Globes cost R100 each (lifespan 6-8 months )

cost in electricity .

cost in cooling tank

After two years the T5 unit will cost you the equivalent if not more than the LED unit.

T5 unit after 2-3 years will cost you

15. lIghty

lIghty

Thanks Marius, totally missed that!:blush:

I thought for 460W, damn thats bad....... Stupid me!

I hear Submariner, but I personally believe LEDs just aren't ready yet, but thats just my opinion though.

16. Arries

Arries

@ Johan van aardt wot are the colour names of the LEDs u used..I'm also experimenting with LEDs but can't really seem 2 find the rite combination...So if u don't mind sharing the coulour names of the LEDs plz...Thanx a lot...

17. Submariner

Submariner

My Clams and SPS colonies would have to disagree:)

18. Theo

Theo

To get a better idea of LEDs, go to REEF CENTRAL, go look at the DIY thread. All those guys are switching over to LEDs. Theres a guys tank that is a 7feet SPS tank. He is running a DIY CREE LED setup. His SPS doubles in size every 2months. I really think Leds are efficient for ALL setups, you just need to calculate how far from water level the light must be and what lenses to put on. All those guys sugest 60-70deg lenses as the par and spread ratio is the highest...
    Then theres the cost aspect. This is from seeing on RC(schientific experiment of one off the marine biologist), but t5 tubes need to be replaced every 6mnths, MH 6mnths to a year. Now LEDs lifetime is between 50 000-100 000 hours. do your own maths, but my maths tells me that is between 17-20years..... And according to the biologist, after that time the LEDs are at 70% intensity....
    I really think LEDs are well worth paying a buck or 2 more, sit back and watch the magic happen...

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you can run leds on 20feet SPS tanks. As long as the tanks are not deep. Or SPS is placed very high up. Use a PAR reader, and check what happens to light intensity every extra 50mm deeper in the water.
    Also while playing, check out the different on PAR reading on the surface between lights that is 100mm, 200 or 300mm above the water. The one that is 300 will loose almost 30% of its PAR if not more compared to the 100mm on the surface level. Yip, serious.
    @Submariner, you will get better results if you lower your light unit. But then your spread might not be enough. And please, more information is needed to complete the picture.
    1.What is the depth of the tank. Plus footprint.
    2.How long is this LED system running
    3.Footprint of the LED unit.
    4.Angle of the lenses.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2011
  20. bres

bres Thread Starter

Your tank looks great,
    With your lighting setup and arrangement do you get the same glimmer effect with the LED's as with Metal Halides? The LED's that I have in mind, I want to use purely for aesthetics and will be used together with T5's(if the Boyu TL550 allows) LED's would be an added benefit if suitable for Soft Corals. These are the specific ones im after, 14000k and 20000K colour temp Lumi Aluminium Strip Light - fixed waterproof LED 5050 and 3528 SMD chip

21. stevengrant

stevengrant

If you do try out these lights on your boyu, let us know if they make any difference. I added an extra standard boyu 24w globe to my tank and if I add any more lighting it will be the LED route.

Recent Posts