lighting advice

Discussion in 'New Members' started by shane scheckle, 18 Nov 2009.

1. shane scheckle

shane scheckle

Hi Guys
    I have decided to start a new tank, I am splitting to a fish only tank, triggers, surgeons and all the bigger fish, keeping them in my existing 1.5m tank. I have just bought a used tank 1.7mx1mx.6m deep. I intend using this tank for my nemmies and lps's. Please advise on the type and quantity of lighting. I am thinking 10-14k metal halides with T5 actinics but would like to do this right.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Sorry man, just to get your question right here:

Are you wanting advice for lighting your Nennie and LPS setup or you Fish Only setup?

Maybe I am just reading it wrong but I cant really get around what exactly it is you want advice on.:p

4. shane scheckle

shane scheckle Thread Starter

hi, it's for the nennies and lps's. i will use my existing T5's for the fish only tank

5. Renannchen

Renannchen

go for 2 or 3 250w mh 14000k and then just 2x actinic t5

6. Renannchen

Renannchen

send me a pm got gr8 specials on Mh units and ill bring them down to CT if you want going there the 1 st Des

7. Jaco Schoeman

I disagree a bit there Ren - sorry...

What Anemone is it? And what other coral do you want to keep?

Do not just fall into the MH trap that so many hobbiest stare themselves so blindly into. So many factors determine light, and we overkill most of the time on light.

Call me the lighting police if you want, but there are many other factors to take into consideration before just throwing the Newlands Stadium lights over your aquarium. ;)

So, to help you, answer these for me please:

1) What Nennie is it?
    2) Where are you planning on putting the nennie (top or bottom.) I know it can move yes, but many times nennies just stay put...?
    3) What other coral species do you plan on keeping?
    4) With ALL THAT light, when and what are your plans to actually feed your corals food?

8. shane scheckle

I currently have a carpet anemony, long tentacled anemony, devils hand, hammer head coral, blue red and green mushrooms, bubble coral, cauli flower and a kenya tree. as for locating the nemmies, to date the carpet has always settled at the bottom in the substrate, the lon tentacle has been happy higher up on a piece of live rock. As for the feeding, i tend to mainly feed a variety of frozen foods, mysis, marine mix, daphnia, plankton etc(this is normally thawed and mainly eaten by the fish but the two clowns seem to ensure that the nemmies get their fair share apart from whats caught in their tentacles due to the circulation), every 2nd week i feed each one a small piece of fresh fish. I found that the 8xT5's which were in my existing tank was not enough for the above mentioned species.

9. Jaco Schoeman

I agree, and becuase of the type of nennies and depth of your tank, I would suggest going with MH yes, but not 250W MH's. I'd really just add two 150W MH's about 425mm from each side.

For bulbs here I'd go with 14000K's and then add two T5's. One 54W Actinic and one 54W Pure Actinic from Geisemann.

You are keeping the nennies at the right depth, so stick with that. Just a question: cauliflower coral? Like in Denrophyllia?

10. shane scheckle

thanks guys

11. shane scheckle

Sorry one last question, the tank is 1m wide, will the 2MH light beam be wide enough for this?

12. Jaco Schoeman

It should be, depending on how high you can take the MH.

There are also a few other commercial options available for 150W MH. Check out the Radiant website@ www.radiant.co.za ;)

Recent Posts