Lighting advice please

Reaction score
Can anyone assist me in some advise on lighting. As some of you know (who is so nice as to answer all my other 1000 questions) I have a std 3 foot tank.

PS: Again, sorry I am new at this and I really want to get it right, and the amount of advise I have been getting from this site is absolutely AMAZING to say the least. Thanks guys you are really a great help.

Okey, so, I currently have two tubes (T8) from Glo. The one is a 90cm blue and the other is a 60cm white (high in the red spectrum and average in the yellow.)

Yes yes I know this is not even nearly enough. What do you suggest I fit to increase effectiveness?

Then I am running my lights for approx 12-14hrs per day. Is that too long? How long should what light run, and do I switch all lights off at night?

39w T5's

How many will depend on what you want to keep and how much space you have.

I would second Warr's suggestion, Jaco. Have a look at the brand "Sylvania" - you get the best value for money for a very good globe. The high end marine aquarium brands, are: ATI, AM (AquaMedic) and Geissemann.
I see that you recently also get a ReefTek range of T5 fluorescent globes. You can get quotes from our sponsors on the pricing of these.

The amount and wattage of these globes, will depend on what life stock you want to keep.
It is for fish only, you do not need a LOT of lighting. Lights are more then for our viewing pleasure, than for the fish. They just prefer to have some lighting cycle at least.
For keeping corals (soft-corals, LPS or SPS) and anemone's - you require specific lighting.
For some soft corals, you do not require a HUGE amount of light, but for others, you do.
For some LPS and SPS, you require MORE lighting (in higher wattages). And for MOST SPS types, you require extreme amounts of lighting.....

39 watt are the correct ones, size wise. Just do some measurements first.
Normally work on a ratio 2 - 1. 1 been the blue. Quantity depends on what you want to keep, for corals try fit at least 6.

Blue usually runs a bit longer than the white(10k plus).
Time period is also up to you I run 11 hours white 13 blue.

Okey. Now I'm going to ask a really stupid question - but I have been seeing this everywhere and I have no idea what it means. What is LPS and SPS? :blushing:

I would ultimately want to keep one Anemone and a clown. That is my ultimate goal. As I have it, soft corals are easier to keep, so I would then have more soft corals for now until I am more experienced.

Okey. Now I'm going to ask a really stupid question - but I have been seeing this everywhere and I have no idea what it means. What is LPS and SPS? :blushing:

I would ultimately want to keep one Anemone and a clown. That is my ultimate goal. As I have it, soft corals are easier to keep, so I would then have more soft corals for now until I am more experienced.

Jaco - LPS stands for: Long polyped Stony corals
SPS stands for: SHORT polyped stony corals

Shaun: I usually buy my Sylvania at "The Lamphouse" - try and find them in the Yellow Pages (not 100% sure if they have a branch in Durbs).
You will be SHOCKED at what they charge for T5's :)

POSTIVELY GLADLY SHOCKED!

Jaco - BTW: Shaun's reaction is because of the following:
EVERYONE starting out in marines have the idea of "wanting to keep an anemone and clownfish".
Nothing is wrong with the idea. It is JUST THAT keeping an anemone alive in our tanks, require QUITE a bit of experience, AS WELL AS REALLY pristine water conditions. Meaning that the tank should be matured at least (at least 1 year old), and that the reefkeeper has a REALLY decent skimmer on the tank (to remove nutrients from the water), and REALLY HUGE wattage of lighting.....

one of the sponsers Dorry Pets had a 8 globe T5 39W unit for excellent price in Dec. full unit cheaper that components.

Well then it is a made case. That is why I am so fortunate to get advise from the pro's before I make a dumb move like to buy an anemone when my tank is only two months old.;)

I will then keep the anemone and clown on the ice (so to speak) for now...

Will rather start off with some shrooms and SPS or LPS? What other corals do you suggest I keep at this stage.

I will definitely look into the T5's as Dorry Pets.

:thumbup:Thanks guys you've really been a great help. I will however keep the questions coming as I go along. Just bare with me huh?

Start with soft corals, Zoas, Mushrooms, leathers etc. then move on to LPS and then investigate SPS.

SPS are the most difficult corals to keep due to the very specific tank parameters required.

Back
Top Bottom