Light requirments for Chaeto

Reaction score
I figured out how to rig a Rio 10 LED light into the back compartment of thy 24G JBJ. I run a DSB in this area.

The idea is that I run a small ball of Chaeto above the DSB once I have installed the light.

1. Is a 10 LED light enough to keep a cheto ball alive?
  2. It is a blue/white combination one, is it better to get a white only one?
  3. Is a 24 hours cycle the best, or do I rig it on reverse cycle?

1. May work, might not - I would lean towards working
2. Rather go white, plants prefer the lower K light
3. I run mine 18 hours a day

reverse cycle as Thalion said .. reckon if your chaeto becomes "see through" / colourless and starts breaking up it is not doing that great ..

Just use a energy saving bulb Philips Do one Cool Daylight 6500k, reverse timing to you tank is good helps stabilize you PH.

Yeah but if you ran 24 hour cycle, you would still stabilise the pH

Hi guys - I don't think that the Rio moonlights have enough PAR rating to REALLY make the chaeto grow. It might just just sustain it to survive.

I have also experimented with my energy saver globe I am using. I have found if I ONLY run the globe/light 12 hours in reverse cycle, my chaeto would not grow. Perhaps if you have a VERY STRONG energy saver, this would work. I use a 11 watt energy saver, and the chaeto only started to grow once I kept the energy saver on for 24 hours..

Hi guys - I don't think that the Rio moonlights have enough PAR rating to REALLY make the chaeto grow. It might just just sustain it to survive.

I have also experimented with my energy saver globe I am using. I have found if I ONLY run the globe/light 12 hours in reverse cycle, my chaeto would not grow. Perhaps if you have a VERY STRONG energy saver, this would work. I use a 11 watt energy saver, and the chaeto only started to grow once I kept the energy saver on for 24 hours..

Agree with Jacques, my chaeto only started growing when i ran 18 hours a day.

I have seen systems that run MH, for 8 hours a day and the chaeto thrives like weeds

sweet. i think i'm gonna give my chaeto a 24h photoperiod for a while. running 2x 11w white energy savers. and now i just added a 10000k t8. see if i can start a little farm:p

no chance of getting my sump to be outside. gonna try leaving my light savers 11w on for a 24h period.

Ok, no change of adding a sump to my JBJ, or moving it outside.

I will go and get a all white Rio tomorrow. Perhaps I can fit two in.

Saw some nice LED panels today at the light shop, may give them a try as well. No idea how the wiring work.

Will run it 24h cycle.

Who's got a chaeto available?

Back
Top Bottom