Lifting detritus from gravel issue

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Jaco Schoeman, 29 Jan 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Can anyone explain to me how to get the dirt/detritus/loose algae leaves etc. into the tanks "out" flowing pipe. I have two powerheads inside my tank, blowing low over the gravel and towards one another. The flow is very good, and stuff does not just fall to the bottom and stay there. I also discharge via a much stronger pump than needed from the sump, onto and over the surface of the tank surface, just to make sure that water movement at the top is also nice and strong towards the "out" pipe for goggas and stuff.

Thing is, the unwanted products need to end up in my out pipe to go to the sump and filters etc - right? Well, I have watched many particles just go around and around, and eventually end up clining to something or another. Then later, if a hermit dislodges it again, it does the same.

If I rake through my substrate there are heaps of crap floating everywhere, and as far as you guys have taught me now, this will lead to a build up of baddies...

Is there any way to get this right?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Yeah, get yourself that siphon cylinder thingy with the pipe. When you do a water change, you vacuum the gravel ( you suck on the one side and it starts to flow) - 2 in 1 job, you not only taking out water but also cleaning your substrate.

4. FransSny

FransSny

spot on as tobes said...BUT if you are very lazy and want to do this often...get the one that works with a little pump (basically a underwater Hoover)

5. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

I've got one of them. So is it fine if the baddies stay there for a week or so? I do water changes every 2nd week.

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I do a 10% water change every week, smaller more regular water changes is better than big changes once or twice per month. You replace used up trace elements quicker as well.

7. dogstar

dogstar

8. Jaco Schoeman

Thanks. Will get it. Maybe I must also do more frequent water changes.

9. FransSny

FransSny

10. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Jaco what type of over flow do you have? corner, side, back etc.

11. FransSny

FransSny

tagging along, i have also battled with this and building a new tank would like to get an idea what the overflow impact is

12. Jaco Schoeman

Shaun, not sure what you mean at what flow I have. So I hope this is what you are looking for. I have two Seio 530 P/Heads on the right side of the tank (one at fron and one at back) They are facing the same direction towards the left of the tank, so they meet each other throughout the tank and at the far left.

Then I also have the water coming from the sump (also quite a bit of flow) but the blows from left to right - opposite the pheads. This however blows at the top of the water level, and not at the bottom as the pheads.

13. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

3 different types of over flows, complements from Kanga.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Jaco Schoeman

O sorry, missed the word "OVER" flow. I have a 40mm hole in the centre top of my tank. Almost like your first drawing, but only one and it's in the middle. Also not the surface skimmer think you have on there.

15. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Can't you build a glass box around it, like in pic 1 but at the back of the tank.

16. Jaco Schoeman

I could, but what effect/advantage does that have? Sorry, not that experienced yet... :lol:

17. ImAClown

ImAClown

Hi guys,I'm sitting with the exact same situation as Jaco. Is it worth the trouble to build a box around it ? As Jaco said, there's not really a lot of junk getting sucked in. I think another reason to do it, is to keep fish/anemones from being sucked in.

18. Jaco Schoeman

Hey clownman... Sorry that nobody answered yet... I never got around building the box around the hole, but I would definetely suggest you do it. Reason being as such... The actual area that gets sucked into a normal 40mm pipe is very little. Having a box built around it, increases the area where water gets in, thus increasing your surface skimming and thus creating more "pull" towards the outlet. So, if you then were to rake through your gravel, you'd find that the gagga's is taken away more effectively.

Hope this makes sense...

19. Tony

Tony

Jaco,

20. Tony

Tony

Jaco, Get a gravel cleaner and someone to help you. Create a Siphon but the overflow from the gravel cleaner must go into your sump with someone holding it there. This kicks up the dirt from the vacuuming but won't kill all the goggas in your tank. Your skimmer will go mad for a few hours

21. ImAClown

ImAClown

Ah, thanks Jaco, it definitely makes sense! As soon as I get some free time on my hands, I'll build the box and give some feedback on how it works! cheers

Recent Posts