Life in the DSB

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Sabi, 15 Mar 2008.

1. Sabi

Sabi

H'llo

Coming near to setting up my system, i've been reading more and more about the deep sand bed setup. What exactly lives in the dsb? Macro algae, hermit crabs, shrimp? What 'stirs' up the bed? Will live sand from the sea bed have most of the life that is needed?

Also i'd appreciate if someone can take a pic of their dsb and post it up just so i can see how everything is as it'll help me get a bit more understanding.

Thanks!
    Sabi

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Although some guys have larger inverts in their DSB like hermits etc, the life we refer to is more micro fauna, such as Isopods, Copepods, tiny stars, bristtle stars, ristle worms etc, I will find some links with pics for you.
    This should help DSB-H. Landman - Marine Aquariums of South Africa - wiki

Up Close and personal - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Some photos of what you rarely see in your tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

As for the pick are you looking for a layout of a sump?

4. Kanga

Sabi here is a straight forward design that many of the guys here use[​IMG]

5. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

Thanks for that pic and the links Kanga, I'm going to read thru them tonight... but what pic i wanted was a pic of someone's dsb in the sump... sort of like seeing the dsb as it is.

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Sabi - have a look at this:
    [​IMG]
    This is from GARF (http://www.garf.org). This very similar to what REALLY decent DSB population looks like. Your DSB contains tiny worms, amphipods, copepods, good isopods, bacteria (aerobic and anaerobic), possibly micro brittle-stars (if you are lucky). The worms could consist of polychaete worms, etc...

Hope this helps.

7. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

Why's the sand so brittle?

-So basically, i just put live sand in the sump and get the flow going to start the dsb into action? All these stuff will be already present?

-Ok, what i'm curious about is- What would need to go wrong for a dsb to crash?
    And if there is Live Rock in the main tank, would it affect the whole system?

Thanks for the info, i appreciate it and sorry if they sound silly...My parents are getting me worried saying its a big responsibility, its very hard etc, etc!

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

DSB shouldn't crash, if you get live sand, correct depth 10-15cm, you're up and away, it will take a couple of months for the DSB to mature.

LiveRock (IMO) is the best biological filtration system you can have, the more the better. I have LR in my display and sump.

LR is the aspect of your tank that will save your "bum" from time to time. It just works well.

9. Kanga

Sabi, dont feel bad, please ask all the questions you need/want to.

To get the best biodiversity get some some sand from several different reefers to seed what you have in your DSB

What do you need to crash a DSB? several possibilites, incorrect flow, incorect granule size, incorrect componds present (silicates etc), too high a bio load, insufficient life, improper seeding,stirring the DSB up, too much detritus over the DSB PH, etc etc etc

But in all likelyhood, with some discipline you woulnd have this problem

10. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

Very interseting thread Kanga.

I didn't know at fisrt what was seeding, anyway i just finished reading about it.
    But am i right in thinking that all thsese stuf can come up themselves from the live rock and what is already in the sand?

11. Kanga

Yip these bethnic critters will come from the rock, sand, coral skeletons etc, like I said earlier the a handfull of sand from one or two established tanks always helps as well.

You are right about live rock being great filtration, but a DSB is even better IMO, the sand just allows for so much more surface area for creatures to grow and multiply.

12. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

Alright, tnx kanga.
    Do you have a dsb? and put the LR on it?

13. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

i gave my DSB a kickstart using LR,but not placing it directly over the DSB.i placed eggcrate over the DSB and LR over it

14. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

Hm. Ok thanks for the info guys.

15. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

Another question...

If the dsb is started after the tank is setup and cycled will it cause another full/mini cycle to start?

16. Kanga

Yes.

However, you can start the tank, cycle it etc, install the sump underneath it and then have the sump offline, i.e. the return pump does not pump to the display, but back to the first chamber until it is cycled then hook it up to the display

17. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

Ok Thanks.

What maintenance would have to be done on the dsb?

18. Kanga

Very little in fact, about twice a year a gentle vacuum of the top 5mm only, other than that the pods, bristle stars etc will do the maintenance for you, thats the beauty of it:)

Some people add a few hermit etc as well to help

Recent Posts