Urgent help needed Lieutenant tang

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Annoying, 21 Mar 2011.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Please help

This is one of my favorite fish, it's got an amazing character but about 4 days ago it just started hiding behind live rock and it's colors are almost complete black. He won't eat and he has a few bite marks from fish. I think my orange shoulder tang started to get aggressive with him and now he is stressed out. I caught him and placed him in a drift tank with some Norry. He still seems fat enough to keep him a while. I also added anti stress. He has no other infection on the body, no white spots, nothing except the bite marks. Should I do anything more, or should I leave him and hope for the best?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

The dark colour is definately a sign of stress and if your tang is harrasing your fish then you're in for problems in the short term. You did well by placing the tang in a QT tank but make sure he has somewhere where he can hide and that the tank is in a quiet place in your house without too many people walking past as that can aggravate things. You have to do something about your orange shoulder tang or else the bullying will continue when you put the other tang back.

I can give you two solutions:

1. Remove the orange shoulder tang for a while and place the convict tang in the tank. This will allow the tang to relax and when you put the orange shoulder back he would have lost his dominance in the tank as he is the new kid on the block and he may leave the tang alone. Rearranging the rockscape a bit may shuffle territories around and allow your fish to make new territories

The other alternative is to get rid of either the convict or orange shoulder. I know it's callous but it's better than a dead fish which is what will eventually happen

4. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks tony, it's still very strange to me as the lieutenant tang is the one who is the longest in the tank. I only placed my orange shoulder in about 2 months ago, and they seemed very happy. It's not until the lieutenant tang started hiding when I saw the first aggression.

5. Tony

Tony

That is interesting. Is the orange shoulder aggro all the time or just every now and then? how long has the aggresion being going on?

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

How large are the tangs?

7. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

The orange shoulder has never shown any aggression, If I didn't try chasing the lieutenant away of his hiding place to try to see for diseases I wouldn't have seen the orange shoulder trying to attack him. They almost always leave each other alone. The lieutenant is about 12 cm and the orange shoulder about 8cm.

8. Tony

Tony

It's difficuilt to say why the aggresion started but you may have to try and sump the orange shoulder and re-introduce him or get rid of one of the fish

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

If the orange shoulder is smaller and added after the lieutenant tang, i dont think moving liverock around will be a long term solution. You may have to get rid me one me them. What other fish do you have?

10. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks Tony, will see if I can catch the little bugger tonight. Sure hope I can keep both, both of them are only half way through their color changes sure wouldn't want to sell them now...

11. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

I've got some sad news. This morning my lieutenant tang was sucked to the DIY overflow:(. He was doing great in the other tank and eating again, so I caught the orange shoulder and replaced the two. It seems the stress was to much for him. Thanks for the help anyway.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2011
Recent Posts