Lid opener

Reaction score
So often small things make life easier and better. I was battling to open the lid and keep it there, either I would flip it all the way over or I would place a small stick to hold it up.

Both options had limitations, the stick one in particular and I have the bruised to prove it.

So I went to the hardware store…kitchen section (mica hardware) and got one of those extendable arms they use to hold top lifting kitchen doors open with. R140 give or take.

I had some difficulty in attaching it and I def wanted it attached INSIDE the hood as the tank has beautiful lines with the cabinet that I did not want upset.

So I screwed the one section in on the base of the lid and then worked out the position where to place a small block of wood to attached the top of the arm…I will post a few pics.

But in all its brilliant, lifting the lid is easy and stays up perfectly. I am lank chuffed with itJ

Oh I thought about the size too, and basically went for a larger arm than smaller, as I will only use one so wanted a more robust one. To have two would complicate the installation by having to match it carefully

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Nice DIYis...work

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Which mica did you get this at? A few weekends ago I looked everywhere for one of those!

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Ah thanks. I have a mica about 5mins drive away but apparently it's not mega enough ;)

Reaction score
i took a slightly better pic.....this is such a good diy job, and so easy to do, indeed if i ever get another tank it will be buildt it, just makes life so much easier:)

IMG_2597.jpg

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
You should be able to get them from auto spares shops as well.